History of Animal Care & Control
From the early 1950s until January 1992, the City of Fort Worth Animal Care and Control operated at four facilities:
- A house built in 1946, approximately 896 square feet, served as the office for staff and administration
- A 5,904-square-foot kennel built in 1951 housed impounded animals
- A 1,224-square-foot quarantine ward housed small puppies and cats
- A 720-square-foot single wide mobile trailer (added in 1985) to provide office space for approximately 22 Animal & Control staff.
In 1989, the City of Fort Worth purchased three acres on Martin Street for an animal control facility. In 1991, the city issued a Request of Proposal to provide kennel services with three options:
- Lease-Purchase of an animal control facility
- Construction of a city-owned animal control facility
- Contracting for kenneling services with public or private agencies.
The only qualified proposal was for kenneling services proposed by Humane Society of North Texas (HSNT). The city entered into an agreement with HSNT in September 1991 and started delivering animals to HSNT on Dec. 27, 1991. The city shelter was closed on Jan. 10, 1992. In September 1996, HSNT informed the city that it was terminating the kenneling agreement effective Oct. 1, 1997.
The 18,000-square foot Fort Worth Animal Care and Control facility at 4900 Martin Street opened on July 28, 1998, with a capacity to house 366 animals. In February 2009, the city added a 3,800 square foot spay neuter clinic to perform spays and neuters of animals prior to adoption and also added housing for 69 pre-and post-surgical animals. A 3,600-square foot Medical Treatment Ward was added in October 2014 to house approximately 93 animals undergoing medical treatment for illnesses and injuries prior to adoption or transfer to one of our partner organizations. In December 2015, outdoor enrichment areas were added including seven multi-dog play areas and 40 shaded kennels providing individual dogs with daily fresh air.
The 2014 bond program included a $1 million expansion and remodeling of the Chuck Silcox Animal Care and Control Center to add capacity for an additional 100 animals, expand the public receiving and outbound areas, additional areas for holding, examining and observing of newly arriving pets and a new area for unloading animal control trucks. The city approved the master plan in February 2015, the design drawings in October 2015 and the construction drawings in December 2015.
Ground breaking is scheduled for March 2016 with completion in September 2016.
Code Compliance is in the process of reviewing animal ordinances.
The Animal Task Force reviewed operations and adherence of procedures and laws from December through March.
Chuck Silcox Animal Care & Control Center
4900 Martin St.
Fort Worth, TX 76119
Dr. Tim Morton