Lifeguard Certification Courses
Want to have a splash at the pool this summer while earning some extra money and gaining valuable work experience?
Individuals interested in becoming a lifeguard at one of the City of Fort Worth’s aquatic facilities are asked to undergo try-outs in early January, before completing the American Red Cross lifeguard certification course.
During the try-outs, a participants must pass a swimming pre-test to qualify for the class. This pre-test will consist of:
- A 300 meter swim (front crawl or breast stroke)
- Treading water for two minutes, without using hands
- A timed brick retrieval from a depth of 10 feet
All classes and try-outs will be held at the Texas Wesleyan University indoor pool, located in the Sid Richardson Building at 1201 Wesleyan St., on to the following dates:
- Saturday, Jan. 9: Noon-3 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 15: 8-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 30: 1-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 13: 1-3 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 27: 1-3 p.m.
- Saturday, March 12: 5-7 p.m.
- Saturday, March 19: 1-3 p.m.
- Saturday, April 9: 5-7 p.m.
- Saturday, April 23: 5-7 p.m.
Once an individual passes the try-out, they will be expected to attend six days’ worth of certification classes, which will be held over the weekend on the following dates:
- Class 1: Jan. 22-31
- Class 2: Feb. 5-14
- Class 3: Feb. 19-28
- Class 4: March 4-13
- Class 5: April 1-10
- Class 6: April 15-24
- Class 7: April 29-May 7
For more information, contact the City of Fort Worth Aquatics division at 817-392-5700.
The following Pool Rules and Regulations are in effect at all municipal aquatic facilities. Enforcement of these rules are up to the discretion of the pool staff.
Forest Park Pool and Marine Park Pool are available for rental from 7-9 p.m., after closing time.
The City of Fort Worth has teamed up with the Fort Worth Drowning Prevention Coalition to offer scholarships for our "Learn to Swim" program.
Your support through the FWDPC will help pay for swimming lesson scholarships.
La Gran Plaza
4200 South Freeway, Suite 2200