VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is an IRS-supported, free income tax preparation program for low-to-moderate income individuals and families. VITA helps taxpayers prepare their tax returns at no cost to the individuals and families, and most importantly helps taxpayers claim important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC).
The mission of the city’s VITA program is to provide free income tax preparation services to low and moderate-income individuals and families. Through the efforts of community volunteers, VITA helps individuals keep their hard earned money and brings millions of dollars back into the local economy through refunds and valuable tax credits. In fact, during 2016, volunteers completed more than 3,250 tax returns that brought $5 million in refunds to Tarrant County residents.
VITA Volunteers provide free income tax assistance from mid-January to the end of April. Locate a VITA site near you by calling the United Way Helpline at 2-1-1 or by visiting MyMoneyDFW.com
The 2017 filing season is complete. Please check back with us in January 2019 for updates.
VITA Year-Round Site
Northside Community Center
1100 N.W. 18th Street
Fort Worth, TX 76164
June 5-Oct. 31, 2018
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
No appointment needed.
Download more information.
Other VITA services available at select sites
- VITA on the Go allows individuals to drop off their tax information, and their returns will be processed within 3 days.
- MyFreeTaxes.com uses simple online tax preparation software from H&R Block that will help identify tax credits and deducations you may be eligible for. This service is available for income levels $62,000 or less.
Frequently Asked Questions about VITA
Who is eligible for VITA’s free tax preparation services?
The VITA program offers free tax help to individuals and families with low-to-moderate income (generally below $55,000).
What do I need to bring with me on my visit with VITA?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:
- A proof of identification, such as a driver’s license or photo ID
- Social security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and your dependents listed on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s), such as Form W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-INT)
- A copy of last year’s federal returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
Where’s my refund?
Where can I get a copy of my tax return transcript or tax account transcript?
You can obtain a free copy by either ordering your transcript online, calling the IRS Transcript Order Line at 1-800-908-9946, or printing and filling out Form 4506-T before mailing or faxing it to the address listed on the form.
Contact us at VITA@fortworthtexas.gov
For more information, call 817-392-5790.
4200 S. Freeway, Suite 2300
Fort Worth, 76115
Fall Festival at Worth Heights: 6 p.m. Oct. 20, 2018; Worth Heights Community Center, 3551 New York Ave.
Halloween Carnival at North Tri-Ethnic: 10 a.m. Oct. 27, 2018; North Tri-Ethnic Community Center, 2950 Roosevelt Ave.
Fall Festival at Andrew Doc Session: 10 a.m. Oct. 27, 2018; Andrew Doc Session Community Center, 201 S. Sylvania Ave.
Fall Festival at Southside: 11 a.m. Oct. 27, 2018; Southside Community Center, 959 E. Rosedale St.
Fall Festival at Northside: 2 p.m. Oct. 27, 2018; Northside Community Center, 1100 Nw 18th St.
Fall Festival at Sycamore: 6 p.m. Oct. 31, 2018; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 E. Rosedale.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Sycamore: 6 p.m. Nov. 14, 2018; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 E. Rosedale St.
Turkey Bingo at Andrew Doc Session: 6 p.m. Nov. 16, 2018; Andrew Doc Session Community Center, 201 S. Sylvania Ave.
Turkey Bingo at North Tri-Ethnic: 6 p.m. Nov. 16, 2018; North Tri-Ethnic Community Center, 2950 Roosevelt Ave.
Senior Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 11:30 a.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Como: 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21, 2018; Como Community Center, 4900 Horne St.