Volunteer with VITA
Every year, hundreds of people contribute their time and expertise to provide free tax preparation to thousands of individuals and families across Tarrant County. No experience is required, and free training is available.
Volunteers can get involved in one of four ways:
Tax Preparers participate in tax training and complete certification, prepare simple tax returns and discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after the quality review process is complete.
Intake Specialists greet and screen all taxpayers to ensure that they have the necessary information and documentation required to complete tax return. They also explain the VITA intake packet to each taxpayer and assist them in completing forms.
Greeters welcome taxpayers and oversee their sign-in, ensuring families are directed to correct areas.
Interpreters provide free interpretation and translation services to customers who are not fluent in English, or who may need other assistance.
Volunteering with the VITA program offers many benefits:
The real redeeming value of VITA lies in the opportunity to provide a valuable service to those in need. VITA volunteers provide eligible individuals with free tax return preparation and filing, and help them claim the necessary tax credits devised to assist individuals move from poverty towards financial security. In return, taxpayers’ refunds are spent throughout the local community, which boosts Tarrant County’s economy.
- Volunteers have an opportunity to improve their problem-solving and decision-making skills, plus hone their communication, project management and leadership abilities.
- Free training enables volunteers to confidently offer quality service, and gain other marketable skills to expand their résumés.
- Volunteers perform a rewarding community service while meeting new people, improving their leadership abilities and technological proficiency.
- Flexibility allows volunteers to choose their own locations, days, and hours to volunteer.
- Volunteers receive a recognition certificate and a volunteer newsletter from the United Way of Tarrant County.
- Volunteers also receive an invitation to attend the Volunteer Recognition Event held in April, as well as invitations to attend other volunteer functions throughout the year.
To learn more, or register as a VITA volunteer, call 817-258-8062 or contact VITA by email.
VITA Volunteer Resources
VITA Central provides Link & Learn tax lessons, VITA training guides, and Volunteer Standards of Conduct.