Where to find local aviation landmark sites
Posted April 2, 2014
A recently dedicated Texas Historical Commission marker honors the site of the first powered flight in Fort Worth. The plaque is in storage until First Flight Park, 2700 Mercedes Ave. in the Linwood Addition, is completed.
Since Fort Worth’s first powered flight in 1911, aviation has changed the culture and economy of North Texas. Yet, most folks know little about the abundance of aviation history surrounding them.
The Fort Worth Aviation Museum hopes to change that by increasing the community’s awareness of the rich local aviation history. Beginning this year, the museum will publish an annual list of North Texas Aviation Landmarks and Sites. This year’s list outlines 25 important sites and presents a priority for officially recognizing those locations.
- Thanksgiving closing schedule announced
- Fort Worth scores high for LGBT inclusiveness on national scorecard
- Fire Department shares safety tips for Thanksgiving chefs
- Police cracking down on DWI during Thanksgiving weekend
- Mayor's Message: Creating connections, creating a stronger Fort Worth
- More News »