Fort Worth Flashback: Central Fire Station was state of the art
Posted Aug. 8, 2011
A modern Central Fire Station was constructed in 1899 at the corner of Throckmorton and Eighth streets. It had three wagon bays, sleeping quarters upstairs, a bell tower and a 40-foot lookout tower allowing firefighters to watch for smoke anywhere in town. The Central Fire Station was moved a few blocks away to Texas Street in the 1930s. This building was razed in 1938.
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-871-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
- Storm debris to be collected with next bulk waste pickup
- Boogie over to the Nature Center for run/walk supporting bison
- Gather your foursome for BAC golf tournament
- CCPD proposers conference rescheduled to April 29
- Mayor's Message: 2015 State of the City recap
- View the news archive »