Fort Worth Flashback: Priceless art finds home at the Carter
Posted Sept. 19, 2011
This early 1960s postcard shows the Philip Johnson-designed Amon Carter Museum. The then-small museum overlooked a landscaped terrace that framed a view of the Fort Worth skyline.
Thos. S. Byrne of Fort Worth was the general contractor for the original museum building. Additions to the building, also designed by Johnson, were made in 1964 and in 1977. These additions expanded the building back to the corner of Montgomery Street, Camp Bowie Boulevard and Lancaster Avenue.
By the late 1990s, the museum needed more space. The solution was to demolish all of the building’s additions and then construct an even larger addition. This expansion opened in 2001 and was also designed by Johnson (1906–2005).
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-871-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.