Fort Worth Flashback: TCU campus had humble beginnings
Posted Oct. 31, 2011
Photo courtesy of the Fort Worth Library.
Construction of a new home for Texas Christian University transformed an open prairie southwest of downtown into one of the most desirable parts of town in the early part of the 20th century.
Located for a time in Thorp Springs, near Granbury, TCU had moved to Waco in 1896 but lost its home in a February 1910 fire. Several Texas cities competed for the opportunity to provide a new home, with Fort Worth emerging as the winner. Local architects Waller and Field were commissioned to design the new campus.
Fort Worth had provided 50 acres, $200,000 in cash and the promise that streetcar lines and city utilities would be run to the site.
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-871-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
- Share your thoughts on waste collection, management
- Assistant City Manager Charles Daniels to retire Jan. 30
- Public-private partnership to develop Pinnacle Bank Place on Lancaster
- Report highlights economic impact of funding to Gateway Park
- Mayor's Message: Back in the saddle again
- View the news archive »