The Comprehensive Plan is the City of Fort Worth’s official guide for making decisions about growth and development. The Plan is a summary of the goals, objectives, policies, strategies, programs, and projects that will enable the city to achieve its mission of focusing on the future, working together to build strong neighborhoods, develop a sound economy, and provide a safe community.
The Texas Local Government Code establishes the legal basis for the comprehensive plan. The code states that a municipality may adopt a comprehensive plan for long-range development. If a city adopts a comprehensive plan, it must be used as the basis of subsequent zoning amendments. The comprehensive plan is described as a plan for the orderly growth and development of the city and its environs. The plan should “facilitate the movement of people and goods, and the health, safety, and general welfare for the citizens of the city.”
How does the city use the Comprehensive Plan?
- Functional plans such as the Citywide Historic Preservation Plan, the Gateway Park Master Plan, and the Public Art Master Plan are incorporated in the Comprehensive Plan
- Departmental business plans
- Budget priorities
- Capital improvement program
- Annexation program
- Development standards
- Zoning and subdivision cases
Comprehensive Plan Progress & Priorities Biennial Report
The Comprehensive Plan Progress and Priorities Biennial Report highlights the city’s progress in accomplishing key objectives in fiscal years 2013 and 2014 and outlines priorities for fiscal years 2015 and 2016.
For more information about the Comprehensive Plan, call 817-392-8000
- New commercial building permit submissions will only be accepted online beginning Jan. 1
- City staff to continue studying how to regulate short-term rentals
- New X-Team to provide faster plan review service
- Permits no longer required for garage sales
Current Wait Times
|Wait times currently unavailable|
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email Customer Service
City Hall, Lower Level
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102