Approved May 1, 2012, the City of Fort Worth’s noise ordinance establishes maximum decibel levels for residential, commercial and mixed-use areas, and includes regulations on amplifiers in public rights of way and animal noise.
By the numbers
The following sound-level limits are measured from the property line of the person making the noise complaint.
(7 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
(10 p.m. to 7 a.m.)
|Residential||70 dBA||60 dBA|
|Commercial & Mixed-use||80 dBA||70 dBA|
Exceptions to the restrictions include:
- Building ventilation and property maintenance
- Public and school property
- Government function
- Permitted outdoor events
- Large venue in Trinity Uptown (>1,000 people)
- Airport, railway and vehicular transportation
The ordinance also prohibits animals from creating unprovoked noise for 10 minutes or longer. Noise generated by gas drilling is regulated separately and is not part of this ordinance.
View the ordinance
Download the full ordinance for more information.
- Public comment sought on pool and spa amendments
- Development Services pushing for more service enhancements
- Development Services expands customer options with video inspections
- Fort Worth Development Services assisting with reopening businesses
- New commercial building permit submissions will only be accepted online beginning Jan. 1
Current Wait Times
As of April 8, 2020, there will be no walk-in appointments. All appointments will be online, by phone and email only. Residents may still schedule appointments in the QLess appointment system. Development Services Support will contact the customer via phone to hold the online appointment. There will be no person to person appointments until further notice.
Please click the link below to "schedule an appointment" or see the contact information to schedule an appointment via phone or email.
Please call 817-392-2222 for all general inquiries.
|Wait times currently unavailable|
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Email Customer Service
City Hall, Lower Level
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102