Home > Public Safety & Courts > Emergency Management Office
Outdoor Warning Sirens
The City of Fort Worth Outdoor Warning System may be activated for any kind of emergency – not just severe weather.
The Fort Worth outdoor warning system consists of 153 sirens strategically located throughout the city. Sirens are designed to serve as a warning for people outside of their business or residence. If you hear the sirens sound, seek sturdy shelter immediately. Make your way to an interior room, away from windows and exterior walls, and turn on a radio or television to a local station for more information.
Sirens will be activated for:
- A tornado warning issued by the National Weather Service
- Tornado or funnel cloud reported by a reliable source
- Sustained winds in excess of 60 mph
- Reports of hail larger than one inch
- Chemical spill emergency
- State or national emergency declared by the governor or president
- Other emergencies as appropriate
Fort Worth’s Office of Emergency Management conducts weekly tests of the outdoor warning system sirens at 1 p.m. every Wednesday, weather conditions allowing.
Sirens sound for 90 seconds on the first Wednesday of each month. The siren test is shortened to 15 seconds for other Wednesdays in the month. If conditions are favorable for severe weather on a test day, the siren test will not be conducted.
Getting alerts indoors
The Office of Emergency Management recommends a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) All Hazards and Weather Alert Radio with the Specific Area Message Encoding feature. The NOAA radio allows you to keep up to date on all types of emergencies 24 hours a day. You can buy one at many local retailers starting at $35.
NOAA radios with the SAME feature can be programmed to provide emergency information specific to your area.The codes for Tarrant and surrounding counties are:
- Tarrant County — 048439
- Dallas County — 048113
- Denton County — 048121
- Johnson County — 048251
- Parker County — 048367
- Wise County — 048497
Emergency alerts also are available by text message and email for free through Nixle.
Report siren outages to the Office of Emergency Management, 817-392-6170 or email@example.com
- Tips to keep the heat from beating you down (June 16, 2016)
- Evacuation exercise prepares Fort Worth emergency staff for future hurricanes (June 21, 2016)
- Celebrate Independence Day safely, legally — leave fireworks to the pros (June 23, 2016)
Emergency Management Office:
Joint Emergency Operation Center:
View a copy of the Tarrant County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Action Plan.