Mobile Commercial Cosmetic Cleaning (Power Washer) Regulation
The purpose of the City of Fort Worth's permit program for mobile commercial cosmetic cleaners (also known as power washers) is to limit detergent and other pollutant discharges into the city's storm drain system. Anything that is discharged into the street eventually ends up in a local creek, lake or river without being treated to remove pollutants.
The City of Fort Worth has a Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) Stormwater Permit to operate its municipal storm drain system. One of the key elements of this permit is a requirement to create and enforce an ordinance which bans pollutant discharges to the storm drain. The City of Fort Worth’s Stormwater Ordinance prohibits illicit discharges to the municipal separate storm sewer system, provides for the regulation of mobile commercial cosmetic cleaning (power washers), and regulates storm water discharges from industrial sources, including construction activity.
Power Wash Permit
Any person or business who engages in mobile commercial cosmetic cleaning is required by the City of Fort Worth Cosmetic Cleaning Ordinance to have a permit for the business. Failure to meet permit and/or discharge requirements of city ordinances can result in fines (pg. 25) of up to $2000 per occurrence.
If you need additional information or have any questions:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call TPW-Environmental Management at 817-392-6088 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Fees for permits and certificates
- The fee for the permit (issued to the business) is $25.00.
- The fee for registration certificates is $25.00 per individual wash unit.
- Application must be made in person to TPW/Environmental Management office, 908 Monroe St., 7th floor, Monday-Friday between the hours of 8 a.m.-4 p.m. or mailed to TPW/Environmental Management, 200 Texas St., Fort Worth, TX 76102.
- Please provide the following documentation:
- Copy of completed permit application.
- Copies of drivers licenses for everyone who drives the vehicles.
- Copies of proof of insurance for all vehicles and trailers.
- Permit fees paid by check or money order made out to City of Fort Worth.
- Credit Cards and Cash are NOT accepted.
Permit term and certificates
- Permits are valid for one year from the date of issue. Registration certificates are valid for the term of the permit.
- Permits and registration certificates are non-transferable.
- All motor vehicles and trailers used to transport cosmetic cleaning rigs must be registered.
- Registration numbers must be permanently and visibly displayed on each side of all vehicles registered under the permit. Numbers must be a minimum of three (3) inches in height in a color contrasting to their background.
- Registration certificates must also be placed in a visible location.
Changes in business and vehicles
- Immediately notify Environmental Management of any management changes in your business during the time the permit is in effect.
- Immediately notify Environmental Management if a vehicle registered under your permit is sold or otherwise disposed of.
The EPA Power Washing YouTube Video Series and EPA’s Region 6 Pressure Washing/ Power Washing Information web page offer more information on best management practices for commercial cosmetic cleaning.