Proper Disposal of Fireworks and Ammunition
Fireworks are illegal in the City of Fort Worth. By ordinance the possession, manufacture, storage, sale, handling and use of fireworks are prohibited (Section 3301.1.3). Wildfires, structure fires and personal injury are common results of illegal fireworks use.
Fireworks, ammunition and other explosives can create potentially dangerous situations if stored at home. Storage of explosive items increases risk to occupants of a building and firefighters during any structure fire.
To protect your community, home and family, don't keep illegal fireworks in your home and make sure legal ammunition and supplies are stored properly. Also, all these items have a limited shelf life and will eventually need disposal. So just how should you dispose of them?
In the City of Fort Worth, residents should follow these recommendations:
- Do not put them in your garbage or recycling bins.
- Do not take them to the Environmental Collection Center or a Fort Worth Drop-off Station for disposal.
- Do contact the Fire Department at 817-392-6850 or FWFire@fortworthtexas.gov to schedule a drop off or arrange a pick up any time of the year.
- Do bring fireworks and ammunition to a City of Fort Worth Fireworks & Ammunition Collection Event. (click here for brochure in English and Spanish)
- Do call Fort Worth Fire Investigations at 817-392-6850 to schedule a pickup of unwanted ammunition, ammunition loading supplies and other explosives.
Participants: Fort Worth residents only. Bring proof of residency in the form of driver's license or current water bill.
Dates: Saturday Jan. 19, 2013 and Saturday, July 20, 2013
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Location: Front parking lot of the Environmental Collection Center at 6400 Bridge St., Fort Worth 76112. Do not enter the ECC building gate with fireworks, ammunition or explosives. Other hazardous household wastes can be brought to the ECC. Location map / Drop off map
Learn more about disposal of other household hazardous wastes.
Visit Earth911 to learn more about handling fireworks, ammunition and other explosives.