Menu Skip to Main Content Home | Contact Us | Jobs | Departments | Policies

Home > News > Flashback

Fort Worth Flashback

Memorial Day 1942

Soldiers and sailors pose for a photograph outside the entrance to Will Rogers Memorial Coliseum while attending a Memorial Day celebration.
May 25, 2015

Flower Carnival Parade, 1900

This photo shows the Flower Carnival Parade in Fort Worth on May 18, 1900.
May 18, 2015

Jim Wright

Jim Wright, a native of Fort Worth, was a Democrat who served 34 years in the U.S. House. Wright, 92, died on May 6.
May 11, 2015

1949 flood called worst in our history

The 1949 flood many consider to be the worst in Fort Worth’s history sent water from the Clear Fork of the Trinity River into homes and businesses in north and west portions of the city.
May 4, 2015

Our first federal building and post office

This 1899 photograph shows Fort Worth’s first federal building and post office. The structure was built with federal money in 1896 and housed the post office, federal courts and a weather bureau.
April 27, 2015

Second City Hall

In 1892, the City of Fort Worth began planning a new city hall to replace the first city hall, which was at Second and Commerce streets.
April 20, 2015

1920s baseball team says, ‘Play ball!’

The Ledger Co. Inc. was a printing and publishing business operated by M.E. Ousley and H.C. Morell. The business was on the corner of Fifth and Calhoun streets.
April 12, 2015

Reagan Millinery outfitted Cowtown ladies

Hats are on display inside Reagan Millinery, a women’s boutique, circa 1910.
April 5, 2015

Hazel Vaughn Leigh founded Boys Club

Hazel Vaughn Leigh (1897-1995) founded the Fort Worth Boys Club in 1935 and devoted her life to improving the quality of life for boys in Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
March 30, 2015

Take a walk through YWCA history at library exhibit

The YWCA of Fort Worth was organized by Mrs. Ralph Smith and Mrs. Q.T. Moreland in 1906. In 1907, it was chartered, making it the first YWCA in Texas.
March 16, 2015

Altrusa honors Mrs. Charles Bedford in 1966

The First Lady of Fort Worth Award recipient, Mrs. Charles E. Bedford, is featured on the program cover for Fort Worth Altrusa’s 21st annual Civic Award Dinner, held at the Crystal Ballroom of Hotel Texas on March 14, 1966.
March 9, 2015

Henrie Gorman advocated for southern literature

In 1898, Henrie C.L. Gorman created “Our Literary Club in Bohemia,” which met at The Nest on East Belknap Street in Fort Worth. The objective of the club was for the self-improvement, mutual benefit and development of southern literature.
March 2, 2015

Mind newspaper covered local, national, international news

The Fort Worth Mind, published by Southwestern Negro Press, was a weekly newspaper that originated in Fort Worth in 1932.
Feb. 22, 2015

Bank backed African-American businesses

The bank was at 401 E. Ninth Street and served as a financial backer for many businesses in Fort Worth’s African-American community.
Feb. 16, 2015

St. John, one of first African-American churches in Tarrant County

St. John Missionary Baptist Church in Mosier Valley, one of Tarrant County’s oldest African-American communities, was founded as Oak Grove Baptist Church in 1874 at the home of Frank Young.
Feb. 6, 2015

Highland Park Y began serving youth, adults in 1918

In honor of Black History Month, each week in February Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of African-American institutions in our city’s history.
Feb. 2, 2015

Stock Show breakfast helped youth participants

A look back to 1972 shows the front cover of a program from the 20th annual First National Bank Sunday Breakfast.
Jan. 25, 2015

Stock Show grub mainly consists of tried-and true recipes

At the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, you can always find cowboys, kids, cows and chickens by the trailer load. There’s another tradition with a menu that rarely changes — the chow.
Jan. 18, 2015

1949 ushered in stock show, city’s centennial

The cover of the souvenir program celebrated dual events in 1949: the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show Rodeo and the Fort Worth Centennial.
Jan. 12, 2015

All-Western Stock Show Parade gallops through downtown

The first year the all-western parade was added to the Stock Show event lineup was 1896. This photo shows a horse-drawn surrey in the 1938 parade.
Jan. 5, 2015

Snow created wintry scene in 1940

This winter wonderland is a northward view of Main Street, approaching the intersection of Seventh Street, in February 1940.
Dec. 28, 2014

Downtown streets aglow in early 40s

A south-looking view of Main Street, approaching Fifth Street, shows Fort Worth’s holiday decorations in December 1941.
Dec. 22, 2014

Labor News delivered holiday greetings to workers

Santa delivered Peace and Security, Full and Fair Employment, Racial and Religious Harmony and Higher Living Standards in this cartoon from the Dec. 19, 1946, edition of Fort Worth Labor News.
Dec. 15, 2014

Alliance Airport celebrates 25 years

In 1987, a partnership was formed between the Federal Aviation Administration, the Fort Worth City Council and the Perot Group/Hillwood Development Corp. to build an airport in far north Fort Worth.
Dec. 8, 2014

Stripling’s window displays set the tone for the holidays

Stripling’s Department Store was known for festive window displays, and its 1940 version for the Christmas shopping season did not disappoint.
Dec. 1, 2014

Pantherette prepared for crosstown football rivalry

The cover sketch depicts the upcoming Turkey Day football game between Central and North Side High.
Nov. 23, 2014

Press article reports on JFK speech

The Nov. 22, 1963, edition of the Fort Worth Press gave a full account of President John F. Kennedy’s speech earlier in the day at the Hotel Texas downtown.
Nov. 17, 2014

Throckmorton Street, then and now

This 1950s view shows the convergence of Throckmorton Street, Jennings Avenue, 10th Street and Ninth Street in downtown Fort Worth.
Nov. 10, 2014

Armistice Day celebrated end of Great War

Armistice Day was a day of remembrance for those who served in World War I. In 1954, the day was officially extended to all veterans.
Nov. 3, 2014

Half of Purina Mills silos no longer standing

This 1937 aerial view shows Purina Mills, just east of downtown Fort Worth between East First and East Fourth streets, along what is now I-35W. The view is looking toward the east.
Oct. 27, 2014

1910 Jennings Avenue hosted bustling scene

This 1910 view shows Jennings Avenue looking north from 13th Street. Workmen can be seen looking up from their chores on the streetcar rails.
Oct. 19, 2014

Can you recognize downtown, circa 1904?

This bird’s-eye view shows downtown Fort Worth in 1904, when the city’s population was estimated at 28,000 people.
Oct. 13, 2014

Oktoberfest provided funds for Symphony’s outreach

The Busch Garden’s Festhause Band appeared at the 1987 Oktoberfest at the Tarrant County Convention Center.
Oct. 6, 2014

Lake Worth created to supplement water for expanding city

Between 1911 and 1913, Fort Worth spent $1.5 million to acquire land and build a dam on the West Fork of the Trinity River, six miles northwest of downtown Fort Worth. Lake Worth was created to help supplement the city’s artesian wells, which to that point had provided water for the growing city.
Sept. 22, 2014

Frozen Lake Worth gave residents a feel for the North

In January 1930, Lake Worth was frozen over. This photo shows a man standing far from the shore. The Jacksboro Highway Bridge is in the background.
Sept. 14, 2014

Built to supply water, Lake Worth became recreation haven

When Lake Worth was first filled in 1914, city officials tried to keep boaters and swimmers off of it, saying they would harm the quality of the water. But by 1917, a bathing pavilion and public beach opened at Casino Beach, and Lake Worth was called "the largest municipal park in the world" by the Fort Worth Parks Commission.
Sept. 7, 2014

Steamer brought luxury to Lake Worth

Sitting at dock is an excursion paddle boat, The Alvez. The steamer was launched on Lake Worth in 1925 and was destroyed by an engine room fire in 1928. It seated 600 passengers and had a restaurant, bar, an orchestra and dance floors.
Aug. 31, 2014

Pantherette printed all the news at Central High

In 1923, the magazine was published weekly by the schools Press Club. Clyde Gene Cox was managing editor.
Aug. 22, 2014

FWHS predated today’s Paschal High

In 1891, the first Fort Worth High School was built and considered to be the finest school building in Texas. The building, seen here, was designed by Sanguinet and Haggart and was located in the current block bounded by Hemphill and Jennings, West Daggett and Jarvis.
Aug. 15, 2014

Business colleges prepared students to work in bustling city

At the turn of the 20th century, Fort Worth was on the verge of becoming a major city in the South and “business workers” were in great demand. About a half-dozen business colleges sprang up to fill the demand, offering shorthand, typewriting, bookkeeping, commercial law, penmanship, business ventures and other courses.
Aug. 10, 2014

Alexander Hogg School honored first superintendent

The Alexander Hogg School — named for the first Fort Worth school superintendent — was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and is known today as part of The Homes of Parker Commons.
Aug. 1, 2014

Downtown parade celebrated Casa’s curtain going up

After Dallas was selected to be the site of the official Texas Centennial Celebration in 1936, Amon G. Carter began making plans for a celebration in Fort Worth.
July 27, 2014

Take a westward view of downtown, circa 1937

This 1937 view shows Fort Worth’s western skyline from atop the Fort Worth National Bank Building.
July 21, 2014

Downtown view, 1936

In this 1936 snapshot from downtown Fort Worth, a meter attendant collects money from parking meters at Sixth and Main streets near what was then the Blackstone Hotel. The hotel today is a Courtyard by Marriot and the coffee shop is a Corner Bakery.
July 11, 2014

Do you recognize downtown, circa 1900?

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
July 3, 2014

Bank employees enjoyed the great outdoors

This 1954 snapshot shows attendees enjoying barbecue at a picnic for the employees of First National Bank of Fort Worth.
June 25, 2014

City Park Dam supplied water to treatment plant

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
June 20, 2014

Relive 1983 Juneteenth Parade

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
June 13, 2014

Cowtown had its own Lake Erie

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
June 3, 2014

Carnegie Library anchored downtown for many years

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
May 30, 2014

1949 flood ravaged LaGrave Field

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
May 19, 2014

1949 flood called worst in city’s history

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
May 13, 2014

Flower Carnival Parade rolled through downtown streets

The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
May 8, 2014

Mayfest increases awareness of parks, river

Mayfest began in 1973 as the Trinity River Festival, a celebration of hard work and success in improving the unsightliness that was left after the devastating flood of 1949.
May 1, 2014

Shouts of ‘Play ball!’ have rung out at LaGrave Field since 1926

The original LaGrave Field was built in 1926 and replaced Panther Park, which had been opened in 1900.
April 24, 2014

Take a trip down Jennings Avenue

This south-looking view of Jennings Avenue in downtown Fort Worth was snapped from atop the Fort Worth National Bank building.
April 18, 2014

Trinity Park expanded due to levee controversy

Trinity Park became Fort Worth’s second park when the city purchased 50 acres straddling the Clear Fork of the Trinity River in 1892.
April 2, 2014

YWCA an early advocate for Fort Worth women

In honor of Women’s History Month, each week in March Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of women leaders in our city’s history.
March 26, 2014

Edna Deckler Perry edited statewide genealogical journal

In honor of Women’s History Month, each week in March Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of women leaders in our city’s history.
March 19, 2014

Betty Randels was child advocate

In honor of Women’s History Month, each week in March Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of women leaders in our city’s history.
March 11, 2014

Hazel Harvey Peace was educator, activist

In honor of Women’s History Month, each week in March Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of women leaders in our city’s history.
March 5, 2014

Lorraine Withington, active in social circles

In honor of Women’s History Month, each week in March Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of women leaders in our city’s history.
Feb. 27, 2014

Urban League leader attended local graduation ceremony

In honor of Black History Month, each week in February Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of African-American leaders in our city’s history.
Feb. 20, 2014

Guinn School educated black children for 63 years

In honor of Black History Month, each week in February Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of African-American leaders in our city’s history.
Feb. 13, 2014

Weekly kept Como community in the know

In honor of Black History Month, each week in February Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of African-American leaders in our city’s history.
Feb. 6, 2014

Dr. Murchison served city’s families in early 1900s

In honor of Black History Month, each week in February Fort Worth Flashback will take a look at the role of African-American leaders in our city’s history.
Jan. 28, 2014

Guilty pleasures most common form of Stock Show grub

This photo shows a time when food and beverage offerings were not as abundant: the 1947 cafeteria and bar located along the midway.
Jan. 24, 2014

Generations have sought thrills on Stock Show’s midway

Whether you’re 5 or 65, you’re sure to enjoy the Fort Worth Stock Show’s carnival midway.
Jan. 16, 2014

Review Stock Show’s growth during the 1940s

The decade of the Forties witnessed some of the greatest growth and innovation of what was then known as the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show.
Jan. 7, 2014

All-Western Stock Show Parade rolls through downtown

The first year a parade was added to the Stock Show event lineup was 1896. In 1909, the parade featured almost 40 Comanche and Kiowa braves led by Chief Quanah Parker.
Jan. 3, 2014

FWNB collection captures our city’s past

A collection of memorabilia, scrapbooks and photos were donated to the Fort Worth Library in 1994 by the National Bank/Texas American Bank Retired Employees Association under the leadership of Joe Baldridge, a former general manager. The collection consists of 25 boxes of materials and 291 mounted photographs divided into 12 series.
Dec. 24, 2013

Admin building anchors TWU campus

The Oneal-Sells Administration Building on the campus of Texas Wesleyan University (formerly Texas Wesleyan College) is a Texas Historic Landmark.
Dec. 20, 2013

Tandy Center introduced ice skating to Cowtown

Many Fort Worth residents laced up their first— and possibly only— pair of ice skates at the old Tandy Center, which housed an ice rink surrounded by shops and restaurants.
Dec. 13, 2013

Downtown shops’ window displays were a staple of holiday season

Elaborate window displays drew shoppers downtown to Fort Worth’s major department stores and specialty shops each Christmas season.
Dec. 5, 2013

Residents flocked to view captured sub

A one-man Japanese submarine was on display at Ninth and Main streets, in front of what was then Fort Worth City Hall, as part of a bond and war stamps drive in 1943.
Nov. 27, 2013

Cowtown enthusiastically welcomed JFK

This photo shows the president entering the Chamber of Commerce-sponsored breakfast in the hotel’s Grand Ballroom on the morning of Nov. 22, 1963.
Nov. 22, 2013

Cowtown enthusiastically welcomed first couple in 1963

A reproduction of the Nov. 22, 1963 Star-Telegram front page shows JFK and the first lady disembarking an Air Force jet at Carswell Air Base the night before.
Nov. 7, 2013

Lee Harvey Oswald bounced around Fort Worth schools

Lee Harvey Oswald was a student at Ridglea West Elementary School during the 1949-1950 school year.
Nov. 1, 2013

TCU-A&M games drew enthusiastic crowds

Crowds came to see the two college football rivalries compete.
Oct. 4, 2013

North Side Branch has been serving residents since 1967

The Fort Worth Library’s North Side Branch was one of five neighborhood branches to open in 1967.
Sept. 27, 2013

North Side High is one of architect Clarkson’s signature works

In September 1937, North Side High School moved to a new building on McKinley Avenue that was built on the site of the Stripling Dairy.
Sept. 22, 2013

Library’s lily pond no longer part of TCU landscape

Unless you’ve been around Fort Worth for a long, long time, you likely won’t recognize or remember this former feature of the TCU campus.
Sept. 13, 2013

Carter-Riverside High School honors community, business leader

A community school system known as Trinity Bend existed as early as 1876 in what is now the Riverside neighborhood of Fort Worth. Classes were held in a one-room schoolhouse built by Dr. Eagle, a retired physician.
Sept. 6, 2013

Unions on parade in 1936 Fox photo

Sheet metal workers from Fort Worth, Dallas and Waco make their way through downtown Fort Worth in the 1936 Labor Day Parade.
Aug. 30, 2013

Can you place this street scene?

In August, we’ll be testing your knowledge of old-time Fort Worth geography. Can you identify where this 1910 photo was taken?
Aug. 16, 2013

Remember this street scene?

Among the businesses operating on Weatherford Street were the Grand Hotel, Texas Cab Co., the Senate Club and Wide-A-Wake Cleaners.
Aug. 9, 2013

Can you locate this street scene?

In August, we’ll be testing your knowledge of old-time Fort Worth geography. Visit the Flashback page and see if you recognize this 1896 scene.
Aug. 2, 2013

Palace entertained generations of downtown movie-goers

The Palace Theater was opened in 1920 at the corner of Seventh and Main streets.
July 26, 2013

Knights of Pythias Castle Hall stands guard over Sundance Square

This replica of a medieval civic building is one of the architectural jewels of Sundance Square. The first permanent lodge in Fort Worth, it was designed by Sanguinet and Staats and built by William Bryce, a mayor of Fort Worth.
July 19, 2013

Pianist Peter Nero recorded album with Fort Worth Symphony

Two-time Grammy Award-winning pianist Peter Nero leads his Pops orchestra, blending classical, swing, Broadway, blues and jazz. In 1992, the Fort Worth Symphony Pops recorded Digital Classics with Peter Nero.
July 12, 2013

1853 map depicts short-lived military post

The historic Fort Worth, sited across the street from the current-day Tarrant County Courthouse, provided the foundation for modern-day Fort Worth.
July 5, 2013

Army’s Camp Bowie was precursor to Arlington Heights neighborhoods

Construction of Camp Bowie began July 18, 1917. The camp, in the Arlington Heights neighborhood about three miles west of downtown Fort Worth, was established by the U.S. War Department to train the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division.
June 28, 2013

Turnpike stimulated growth between Fort Worth, Dallas

The Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike was a 30-mile toll highway that operated between 1957 and 1977, following the route of modern-day Interstate-30.
June 23, 2013

Visitors waltzed across Texas at Spring Palace galas

The Texas Spring Palace, a regional agricultural fair in Fort Worth, opened May 29, 1889. The fair was inspired by Robert A. Cameron, immigration agent for the Fort Worth and Denver Railway, and designed to attract settlers and investors to Texas.
June 14, 2013

Concerts in the Garden have been relieving summer heat since 1990

Described as “Fort Worth’s best seasonal outing” by the Star-Telegram, the Concerts in the Garden summer music festival was established at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden in 1990.
June 7, 2013

Van Cliburn Competition awards a new generation of classical masters

Winning the first Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow at the height of the Cold War in 1958 brought Fort Worth pianist Van Cliburn unprecedented celebrity.
June 2, 2013

Cats hosted many big-league players

In the early to mid-1920s, the Cats hosted various major league clubs who were making their transition from spring training into the regular season.
May 17, 2013

Symphony celebrating a century of making beautiful music

The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra celebrates its Centennial Season this year, with several special events and programs.
May 10, 2013

Swartz brothers chronicled early life in Fort Worth

The Swartz brothers — David, John and Charles — were three Virginia farm boys who ventured west, arriving in Fort Worth in the mid-1880s. Over the next 30 years, they observed the city through the lens of a camera, snapping photos of people, events and architecture and leaving a priceless legacy. They collectively created thousands of photos.
May 3, 2013

Spring Palace showcased Texas wares, ended tragically

The Texas Spring Palace, a regional agricultural fair in Fort Worth, opened May 29, 1889. The fair was inspired by Robert A. Cameron, immigration agent for the Fort Worth and Denver Railway, and designed to attract settlers and investors to Texas.
April 26, 2013

Fox photo collection is now digitized

George D. Fox and his wife traveled extensively around the country and photographed the places they visited. A recently digitized collection represents a small percentage of photos that Fox artfully arranged and preserved in 53 albums.
April 22, 2013

Crowds swarmed to greet Roosevelt in 1905

President Theodore Roosevelt visited Fort Worth on April 8, 1905, where a huge crowd gathered outside the Texas & Pacific Railroad Co. building to hear him speak.
April 12, 2013

Al Brancato played for Cats after major league career

Al “Bronk” Brancato played shortstop with the Texas League Fort Worth Cats during two different seasons: first in 1947 at age 28 and again in 1952 at age 33. This photo is from his 1947 season.
April 5, 2013

Take a look at early city records

The Library Archives will feature an exhibit beginning April 2 showcasing records of the City of Fort Worth. The exhibit will be in the East Wing of Fort Worth Central Library, 500 W. Third St.
March 31, 2013

Belle Burchill tried to tame Hell’s Half Acre

Belle Burchill (1847-1937) served as postmistress in the 1880s and is credited with starting home mail delivery in Fort Worth.
March 25, 2013

Electra Carlin operated one of first private art galleries

Electra Carlin was one of the only gallery owners in the Southwest to exhibit and sell Inuit art.
March 18, 2013

Alpha Kappa Alpha uplifts the community it serves

The Fort Worth chapter, Beta Mu Omega, was the dream of 13 women who chartered the chapter on May 2, 1936, at the home of Ethel Brackeen Long.
March 11, 2013

Pat Chadwell Jackson helped strengthen local library’s archives

Pat Chadwell Jackson worked for the Fort Worth Library from 1962 through 1989. She was the head of the Genealogy and Local History Unit for most of those years.
March 1, 2013

Dr. Ransom safeguarded health of black residents

Ransom moved the Booker T. Washington Sanitarium to Fort Worth in 1918. It was one of only three black-owned hospitals in the U.S. accredited by the American Medical Association at the time.
Feb. 22, 2013

Miz Rolla’ secured a place for local black history

Rolla — known in the community as “Miz Rolla” — and a few of her friends organized the Tarrant County Black Historical and Genealogical Society, which began to collect personal papers, scrapbooks, clippings, photographic collections, artwork and other relevant material.
Feb. 17, 2013

Guinn School was center of education for blacks

After Fort Worth public schools were organized in the fall of 1882, black students continued to be taught in black churches for more than a year. The city completed a schoolhouse for blacks on East Ninth Street at Elm in December 1883.
Feb. 8, 2013

Lives of black cowboys tell story of skill, grit

African-American cowhands regularly worked side by side with Mexican vaqueros and Anglo cowboys. But black cowboys often had to survive discrimination, bigotry and prejudice.
Feb. 4, 2013

Cowtown boasts longest running stock show

The Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show, the oldest continuously running livestock show, began in 1896, when a fat stock show was organized under shade trees on Marine Creek in North Fort Worth.
Jan. 27, 2013

King Kids helped keep the dream alive

Original King Kids of America was a Fort Worth-based youth group that sang hymns and spirituals and recited Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous speeches.
Jan. 20, 2013

Edna Gardner White was pioneer aviatrix

Edna Gardner Whyte of Roanoke was an aviation pioneer. She became a licensed pilot in 1928 when few people were flying.
Jan. 6, 2013

Greenwall Opera House entertained Cowtown before its untimely demise

The Fort Worth Opera House was built in 1883 by a syndicate headed by Walter Huffman. The 1,200-seat theater was located at Third and Rusk (now Commerce) streets.
Dec. 28, 2012

Amber bulbs shone through the holidays for many years

Insurance executive Hubert Foster convinced downtown businessmen and building owners in 1959 to outline their buildings in gold and white bulbs during the holiday season.
Dec. 21, 2012

FWNB collection captures our city’s history

In 1873, Thomas A. Tidball and John B. Wilson established one of the first private banks in Fort Worth. The following year, Major K. M. Van Zandt, Major J. J. Jarvis and John Peter Smith purchased controlling interest. In 1884, the bank received a charter as Fort Worth National Bank.
Dec. 16, 2012

First local hospital was built for railroaders

St. Joseph Hospital, the first hospital in Fort Worth, was founded on May 29, 1883, by J.M. Eddy of the Gould railroad system. The hospital, then called the Missouri Pacific Hospital, was built for railroad workers.
Dec. 7, 2012

Daring young man in his flying machine visited a century ago

At the Fort Worth Driving Park, a race track situated roughly between today’s Office Depot and a Ross Dress for Less store off West Seventh Street, a Frenchman named Roland G. Garros lifted off in his Bleriot monoplane on Jan. 12, 1911.
Dec. 2, 2012

I.M. Terrell music program produced jazz greats

Jazz greats Ornette Coleman, John Carter, King Curtis, Prince Lasha, Dewey Redman, Julius Hemphill, Ronald Shannon Jackson and Cornell Dupree all emerged from the same important Fort Worth location: I.M. Terrell High School.
Nov. 21, 2012

JFK’s speeches in Fort Worth would be his last

A light rain was falling on Friday morning, Nov. 22, 1963, but a crowd of several thousand stood in the parking lot outside the Hotel Texas, where John and Jacqueline Kennedy had spent the night.
Nov. 18, 2012

Reby Cary’s life one of patriotism, service, achievement

After graduating from I. M. Terrell High School, Reby Cary earned a degree in history and political science at Prairie View A&M. He started the path to a higher degree, but would first answer the call to duty.
Nov. 11, 2012

Downtown parade showcased Texas’ military strength

This photo shows a Marine Corps recruiting detachment marching in one of Fort Worth’s several military parades held downtown.
Nov. 4, 2012

Polio was one of the most feared diseases

From the 1930s to the 1950s, in response to the rising epidemic of paralytic poliomyelitis (polio), Texas children were routinely vaccinated.
Oct. 28, 2012

A rare look at a part of TCU campus no longer in existence

This garden was at the front entrance to the Mary Couts Burnett Library (the main entrance was moved to the southeast corner of the building in a 1982 renovation).
Oct. 19, 2012

Stag Saloon brought ‘luxurious surroundings’ to Cowtown

The Stag Saloon opened on. Oct. 28, 1899; at 702 Main St., stocking “the best wines, liquors and cigars, and Martin’s Best Whiskey made right here in Fort Worth by Martin Casey,” according to the book Legendary Watering Holes, compiled and edited by Richard Selcer.
Oct. 14, 2012

Quanah Parker was no stranger to Cowtown

The last chief of the Comanche Nation, Quanah Parker was a statesman, warrior and frequent visitor to Fort Worth.
Oct. 5, 2012

Many street names honor early statesmen, others

A list of well-known Fort Worth streets and how they got their names.
Sept. 28, 2012

Test your knowledge of late-50s Fort Worth geography

How many landmark buildings can you identify in this 1958 photo? The aerial photo was taken looking east along I-30 from approximately the Forest Park Boulevard exit.
Sept. 24, 2012

From meager beginnings, zoo grew into nationally ranked attraction

The oldest zoo in Texas, the Fort Worth Zoo was founded in 1909 with one lion, two bear cubs, an alligator, a coyote, a peacock and a few rabbits.
Sept. 16, 2012

Cook began caring for Tarrant County in 1929

The roots of the former Cook Children’s Hospital go back to Jan. 29, 1929, when W.I. Cook Memorial Hospital opened at 1212 W. Lancaster St. The original hospital, designed in Italian Renaissance architecture, had 55 beds.
Sept. 9, 2012

Paschal’s history extends to early days as Fort Worth High

Paschal High School was founded in 1885 as Fort Worth High School. In 1891, the first Fort Worth High School was built and considered to be the finest school building in Texas.
Sept. 2, 2012

Rare photo shows early Tarrant settlers

How many of these old-timers can you name?
Aug. 26, 2012

FWU dispensed college degrees before moving to Oklahoma City

Fort Worth University was chartered as Texas Wesleyan College by the Northern Methodist Church on June 6, 1881.
Aug. 20, 2012

Early aviator Vernon Castle memorialized in Benbrook

Vernon and Irene Castle were a husband-and-wife dance team and the first pop superstars of the 20th century. They were young, rich and famous, and they authored books, starred in early Broadway musicals and movies and sold their names and faces to everything from record players to shoes to cigars.
Aug. 12, 2012

Camp Bowie preceded Arlington Heights neighborhood

Construction of Camp Bowie began July 18, 1917. The camp, in the Arlington Heights neighborhood about three miles west of downtown Fort Worth, was established by the War Department to train the 36th Infantry Division.
Aug. 6, 2012

County seat was swiped from Birdville

Ambitious Fort Worth residents called a courthouse election, sparking a bitter campaign.
July 30, 2012

Water Gardens are an architectural and engineering marvel

The Fort Worth Water Gardens, between Houston and Commerce streets at West Lancaster Avenue, were built in 1974.
July 20, 2012

City’s elite partied at Lake Como resort

Lake Como, about five miles west of Fort Worth’s Central Business District, provided a refreshing break from summer temperatures for many Fort Worth families in the latter part of the 1800s.
July 13, 2012

Pioneer family’s homestead became Cultural District

The Van Zandt cottage at 2900 Crestline Road has played an important role in Fort Worth’s history.
July 9, 2012

Street markers progressed through the ages

The approximate age of a Fort Worth street often can be determined by the type of marker used.
July 2, 2012

Elks Lodge started out downtown

An early location for Elks Lodge No. 124 was at Lamar and West Seventh streets in downtown Fort Worth.
June 25, 2012

Ready availability of ice changed home life

The White Elephant Saloon’s boast that it sold “ice cold' beer” became possible only after Fort Worth’s Crystal Ice Co. began manufacturing the stuff year-round in March 1887.
June 18, 2012

Lake Worth was built to provide drinking water, recreation

The City of Fort Worth constructed Lake Worth in 1914 as a municipal water supply reservoir and for recreation. Lake Worth, comprised of more than 3,700 acres, was the first manmade reservoir in Texas.
June 11, 2012

May 1949 flood called worst in city history

The flood many consider to be the worst in Fort Worth’s history sent water from the Clear Fork of the Trinity River into homes and businesses in north and west portions of the city.
June 4, 2012

Symphony has been making beautiful music since 1912

The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra celebrates its Centennial Season this year, with several special events and programming.
May 29, 2012

Cats have winning history

The club won Texas League championships in 1895, 1905 and 1906, but from 1920 to 1925, the Panthers won every Texas League pennant and defeated the Southern Association champion in the Dixie Series in all but one year.
May 21, 2012

John Peter Smith was early Fort Worth promoter

John Peter Smith (1831-1901) arrived in Fort Worth in 1853 and decided to make it his home.
May 14, 2012

Native Americans used virtually every portion of the bison

Bison played a part in practically every aspect of the lives of Native Americans who lived in Texas.
May 7, 2012

Display recounts early African-American doctors’ contributions

The exhibit, Hidden in History: African American Doctors in Fort Worth, shares the stories of Dr. Riley Ransom, Dr. C. W. Flint, Dr. George Munchus, Dr. Elisha P. Murchinson and many others who paved the way for other African-American doctors.
April 30, 2012

Confederate Grays organized to honor fellow soldiers

We've all seen veterans groups working in the community and performing grave dedications but, at the turn of the 20th century, you would have seen some Confederate gray in place of U.S. military uniforms.
April 23, 2012

Bookmobile hit the road in 1948

For more than 100 years, U.S. bookmobiles have delivered information, technology and resources for life-long learning to people of all walks of life.
April 16, 2012

Edna Gladney fought for adoption rights in Texas

Fort Worth’s Edna Gladney Center for Adoption celebrates its 125th anniversary this month.
April 9, 2012

Early downtown dwellers worshiped at Broadway Presbyterian

The Broadway Presbyterian Church in Fort Worth dates from 1884. Its first brick building at Broadway and St. Louis Avenue burned during the great southside fire on April 3, 1909.
April 2, 2012

Downtown, circa 1910

How many historic structures from this 1910 photo of downtown Fort Worth can you identify?
March 26, 2012

Westland produced a good nickel cigar

The Westland Cigar Manufacturing Co., located at 209½ W. 11th St., sold Blue Bell cigars for five cents each and Westland’s Bests at 15 cents, both made by hand in Fort Worth.
March 19, 2012

Cruise down Automobile Row

The western fringes of downtown Fort Worth once housed Automobile Row, a collection of automobile sales and service centers representing practically every make known at the time.
March 12, 2012

E.M. Daggett settled Diamond Hill

Ephraim M. Daggett (1810-1883), known as the Father of Fort Worth, built this Diamond Hill home.
March 5, 2012

North Side grew up around packing plants

Development of the North Side of Fort Worth began about 1888, when A.T. Byers bought a large tract of land north of the Trinity River where he hoped to establish a city.
Feb. 27, 2012

Trinity Park expanded as result of levee controversy

Trinity Park became Fort Worth’s second park when the city purchased 50 acres straddling the Clear Fork of the Trinity River in 1892.
Feb. 20, 2012

James Farmer pioneered cattle sales in Fort Worth

Born in 1858, Farmer entered the cattle business in Tarrant County when he established the Hoxie Packing House, a forerunner of the giant Swift and Armour packing houses in the Stockyards.
Feb. 13, 2012

Streetcars began scooting around Cowtown in 1876

The first streetcar in Fort Worth rolled down Main Street on Christmas Day 1876, delivering passengers from the courthouse to the T&P Depot about a mile away.
Feb. 6, 2012

Bell has been manufacturing Kiowa copters here for nearly 50 years

In the 46 years since Bell Helicopter Textron’s OH-58 Kiowa helicopter took its first flight, the Fort Worth-manufactured aircraft has flown more combat missions than any other, with more than 600,000 missions.
Jan. 30, 2012

36th Division shipped out of Camp Bowie for World War I action

The 36th Infantry Division was organized at Camp Bowie in Fort Worth on July 18, 1917, from units of the Texas and Oklahoma National Guard during World War I.
Jan. 23, 2012

Red Men promoted freedom, friendship, charity

The Improved Order of Red Men traces its origins to secret patriotic societies founded before the American Revolution. They were established to promote liberty and to defy the tyranny of the English crown. Among the early groups were the Sons of Liberty, the Sons of St. Tammany and, later, the Society of Red Men.
Jan. 17, 2012

1949 flood led to creation of levee system

On May 17, 1949, the Clear Fork of the Trinity River in Fort Worth broke through its levees and spilled floodwaters into the city's commercial, industrial and residential districts.
Jan. 9, 2012

Panoramic map shows 1876 Cowtown

In April 1876, when artist D.D. Morse drew this bird’s-eye view from the northwest, Fort Worth was struggling for its very existence.
Jan. 3, 2012

Depression era spawned 1938 City Hall

The 1938 City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St., is a Classical Moderne building designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and built as part of the Works Progress Administration. Total construction cost was $500,000.
Dec. 27, 2011

Early power brokers flocked to Elizabeth Boulevard

Elizabeth Boulevard on Fort Worth’s near south side was the first restricted residential development in Fort Worth. Today, the neighborhood is intact and free from demolition or commercial development.
Dec. 16, 2011

American Airlines grew its wings at Meacham

After the City of Fort Worth established Fort Worth Municipal Airport on May 23, 1925, the first airmail flight was flown in 1926 by National Air Transport Co., now known as American Airlines.
Dec. 12, 2011

Paschal High got its start as Fort Worth High

When FWHS was built in 1891, it was considered to be the finest school building in Texas. It was a three-story building surrounded by dirt roads, which were muddy on rainy days and led to a decline in attendance.
Dec. 5, 2011

Lewis Fox captured Cowtown scenes in 1930s, 40s

Photographer Lewis D. Fox was known for shooting street scenes around Fort Worth, including this skyline captured from Clarke Avenue in Arlington Heights, circa 1945.
Nov. 28, 2011

Money’s Glo was first Futurity champion

The first National Cutting Horse Association Futurity was held over two days in 1962. Money’s Glo, ridden by Buster Welch for C.E. Boyd III, scored a 224 to earn the winner’s check for $3,828. Thirty-six riders competed in the event.
Nov. 21, 2011

Carnegie provided gift for city’s first library

When Mrs. D.B. Keeler took a chance and sent a letter to Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist and philanthropist responded with a $50,000 gift to build Fort Worth’s first library.
Nov. 14, 2011

Main Street underpass provided north-south thoroughfare

The Main Street underpass created an east-west route for railroad cars overhead and a way for automobiles to travel beneath the rail lines from north to south.
Nov. 7, 2011

TCU campus had humble beginnings

Construction of a new home for Texas Christian University transformed an open prairie southwest of downtown into one of the most desirable parts of town in the early part of the 20th century.
Oct. 31, 2011

More than century-old pump station valve removed

Placed in service in 1892, this valve was installed during construction of the Holly Pump Station, now the site of the North Holly Water Treatment Plant.
Oct. 24, 2011

Hotel, saloon provided cowboy comforts

In 1904, Col. T.M. Thannisch, one of North Fort Worth’s early developers and entrepreneurs, purchased property at the corner of North Main Street and East Exchange Avenue.
Oct. 17, 2011

Shenandoah one of four Navy airships

Sure, we see a blimp in the Fort Worth skies during major sporting events, but those blimps are shrimps compared to the USS Shenandoah, which made its way through our city in the 1920s.
Oct. 10, 2011

Stag Saloon brought ‘palatial magnificence’ to Cowtown

The Stag’s dining room offered a lavish menu of fresh fish, oysters, game and pastry dishes and was “a gathering place for the city’s young bulls.”
Oct. 3, 2011

Restored monument honored for preservation excellence

The restored Al Hayne Monument at 700 Main St. was awarded a Preservation Award by Historic Fort Worth Inc. Fort Worth Public Art oversaw the restoration of the City-owned memorial.
Sept. 26, 2011

Priceless art finds home at the Carter

In the early 1960s, the small, Philip Johnson-designed Amon Carter Museum overlooked a landscaped terrace that framed a view of the Fort Worth skyline.
Sept. 19, 2011

Sam Garcia

The Fort Worth Library’s Samuel Garcia Collection is a treasure trove of information about Fort Worth’s Hispanic community. Garcia donated his collection to the library archives for preservation purposes and to educate the public about Hispanic heritage in the Fort Worth area. Included in the collection are manuscript materials relating to various organizations, pamphlets, journals, newspapers and clippings, memorabilia, photographs and awards.
Sept. 12, 2011

Yale Lary anchored Detroit’s feared defense of the 50s

Lary made all-conference at Texas A&M University as a halfback in 1951 before being drafted by the Detroit Lions in the third round of the spring 1952 draft.
Sept. 6, 2011

Early grocery store was predecessor to O.B. Macaroni

Italian immigrant Louis Bicocchi was a prominent grocer and businessman in pre-1900 Fort Worth. This store, downtown at the corner of Seventh and Burnett streets, was an early location of Bicocchi’s grocery business.
Aug. 29, 2011

Bookmobile rolls out

In 1948, Fort Worth's new library director, Joseph S. Ibbotson, was instrumental in starting bookmobile service. The bookmobile made 28 stops in the city limits, bringing library services out of downtown and into neighborhoods long before branch libraries were built.
Aug. 22, 2011

Boaz & Battle Cotton Yard

In the 1880s, the Boaz & Battle Cotton yard was located on Main Street between 13th and 14th streets.
Aug. 15, 2011

Central Fire Station

A modern Central Fire Station was constructed in 1899 at the corner of Throckmorton and Eighth streets. It had three wagon bays, sleeping quarters upstairs, a bell tower and a 40-foot lookout tower allowing firefighters to watch for smoke anywhere in town.
Aug. 8, 2011

E.M. Daggett

Ephraim M. Daggett (1810-1883) was a merchant, legislator and early promoter of Fort Worth. Born in Upper Canada, he settled in Tarrant County in 1854.
Aug. 1, 2011

Tickets on sale now for Slide the City
Home | Contact Us | Jobs | Departments | Policies | Subscribe | Media | Employee E-Mail