Home > News > Flashback
Fort Worth Flashback
The City of Fort Worth's City News presents a weekly article highlighting a local history topic using photographs found in the Library's archives. The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-392-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
Do you remember when these cruisers were rolling through our neighborhoods? A Fort Worth Police car is parked along the 600 block of Houston Street in August 1975.
April 22, 2016
- Cowtown Blues, mid-70s edition (April 22, 2016)
- 111 years ago, 16 cars were buzzing around Fort Worth (April 15, 2016)
- Interurban connected Fort Worth, Dallas in 1900 (April 8, 2016)
- Subway shuttled shoppers to Leonards, Central Library and beyond (April 3, 2016)
- Ladies Brass Band filled a unique niche (March 25, 2016)
- Ladies of the Oriental Shrine promoted fellowship, betterment of members (March 18, 2016)
- Pauline Gasca Valenciano, community and public servant (March 11, 2016)
- Meet the first director of Fort Worth's Girl Scouts (March 4, 2016)
- Florence B. Brooks Club celebrates Evening in Paris (Feb. 26, 2016)
- L.B. Adams pastored at Corinth Baptist Church for more than 33 years (Feb. 19, 2016)
- African-American Masonry in Fort Worth extends to 1889 (Feb. 11, 2016)
- YMCA branch for African-Americans started in 1903 (Feb. 5, 2016)
- In Legislature, Reby Cary stood up for Fort Worth (Jan. 29, 2016)
- 1941 Stock Show midway provides thrills (Jan. 22, 2016)
- 4H, FFA participants grab some grub in 1973 (Jan. 15, 2016)
- 1929 ushered in stock show, rodeo (Jan. 8, 2016)
- All-Western Stock Show Parade gallops through downtown (Dec. 30, 2015)
- Holiday memories at Tarrant County Building & Loan (Dec. 23, 2015)
- First National workers get in the holiday spirit (Dec. 18, 2015)
- Library patrons enjoy festive times in 1961 (Dec. 11, 2015)
- Remember holiday shopping at Leonard's? (Dec. 4, 2015)
- Pummill Meat Market stocked early Fort Worth kitchens (Nov. 25, 2015)
- 1963 editorial remembers Kennedy legacy (Nov. 20, 2015)
- Westcliff provides shopping convenience since 1945 (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Cowtown celebrates Armistice Day (Nov. 6, 2015)
- View city correspondence dating to 1895 (Oct. 30, 2015)
- Early settler Daggett, wife buried in Birdville Cemetery (Oct. 23, 2015)
- McLean Middle School was like new in '54 (Oct. 16, 2015)
- Frogs vs. Hogs, 1938 (Oct. 8, 2015)
- Roll out the barrel for Oktoberfest (Oct. 2, 2015)
- City Hall construction completed in 1972 (Sept. 25, 2015)
- Carnegie Library anchored downtown for years (Sept. 18, 2015)
- Boaz helped settle early Fort Worth (Sept. 10, 2015)
- Labor News covered union news until 1975 (Sept. 3, 2015)
- Relaxing on Labor Day, 1930s style (Aug. 27, 2015)
- Eastern Hills High, 1971 (Aug. 20, 2015)
- Cowtown celebrates VJ Day (Aug. 13, 2015)
- Reeves Pharmacy (Aug. 6, 2015)
- Water Gardens transformed south end of downtown (July 31, 2015)
- Honor fallen officers on May 4
- Upcoming sessions allow stakeholders to share visions about future of Stockyards development
- Six North Texas botanic gardens unite to promote National Public Gardens Day
- Featured Green Team: Applied Learning Academy
- Will Rogers complex listed on National Register of Historic Places
- More News »
- Notice of Public Hearing: 2016-2017 Action Plan for the use of federal grant funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
Parents' Night Out at R.D. Evans (RSVP by April 27): 6 p.m. April 29, 2016; R.D. Evans Recreation Center, 3242 Lackland Rd..
Charter Election Informational Meeting (District 9): 10 a.m. April 30, 2016; University Christian Church, 2618 S. University Drive.
Mother's Day Luncheon at Hillside: 1 p.m. April 30, 2016; Hillside Recreation Center, 1201 E. Maddox.
'Latino Americans: 500 Years of History' Episodes 3 and 5: 2 p.m. April 30, 2016; Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, 3200 Darnell St.
Public Meeting: Botanic Garden Strategic Plan: 5:30 p.m. May 2, 2016; Fort Worth Botanic Garden Lecture Hall, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd.
Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee: 11 a.m. May 3, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
DFW International Airport Board Retirement/Investment Committee: 12:30 p.m. May 3, 2016; Board Room, DFW International Airport Headquarters Building, 2400 Aviation Dr.
View the agenda »
DFW International Airport Board Operations Committee: 12:45 p.m. May 3, 2016; Board Room, DFW International Airport Headquarters Building, 2400 Aviation Dr.
View the agenda »
DFW International Airport Board Finance/Audit Committee: 1 p.m. May 3, 2016; Board Room, DFW International Airport Headquarters Building, 2400 Aviation Dr.
View the agenda »
Housing and Neighborhood Services Committee: 1 p.m. May 3, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
DFW International Airport Board Concessions/Commercial Development Committee: 1:10 p.m. May 3, 2016; Board Room, DFW International Airport Headquarters Building, 2400 Aviation Dr.
View the agenda »
Alliance Airport Authority, Inc: 2:45 p.m. May 3, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall , 1000 Throckmorton St.
Pre-Council Meeting: 3 p.m. May 3, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
Council Meeting: 7 p.m. May 3, 2016; Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.