Fort Worth Flashback: Depression era spawned 1938 City Hall
Posted Dec. 27, 2011
The 1938 City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St., is a Classical Moderne building designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and built as part of the Works Progress Administration. Total construction cost was $500,000.
A side view of St. Patrick Cathedral can be seen in the background of this photo. Behind that is the T&P railway terminal building.
Most city offices were located in this building through the 1960s, including the Police Department and jail. It served as Fort Worth’s City Hall from 1938 until 1978.
In 2007, the building was renamed the A.D. Marshall Public Safety and Courts Building, honoring the memory of one of the city’s longest-tenured employees. Marshall was employed by the city for 53 years, serving from 1952-1985 as a member of the Police Department. After retiring from the Police Department, he immediately joined the Municipal Court’s Marshal Division and served until 2005.
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-392-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
- Fort Worth Flashback: Frozen Lake Worth gave residents a feel for the North
- Fort Worth Flashback: Built to supply water, Lake Worth became recreation haven
- Fort Worth Flashback: Steamer brought luxury to Lake Worth
- Fort Worth Flashback: Pantherette printed all the news at Central High
- Fort Worth Flashback: FWHS predated today’s Paschal High
- More »