Fort Worth Flashback: North Side grew up around packing plants
Posted Feb. 27, 2012
This 1896 photo shows the Northside Drive bridge over the Trinity.
Development of the North Side of Fort Worth began about 1888, when A.T. Byers bought a large tract of land north of the Trinity River where he hoped to establish a city. About 1890 he sold the land to the Fort Worth City Co., which platted the North Side, including the Buena Vista Heights neighborhood.
A town did spring up in the area, centered around the packing plants near the present-day Stockyards district.
When the major packing companies started building their plants in about 1902, North Fort Worth was incorporated. It remained an independent city until the Texas Legislature approved its annexation by Fort Worth in 1909.
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-392-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
- Fort Worth Flashback: Steamer brought luxury to Lake Worth
- Fort Worth Flashback: Pantherette printed all the news at Central High
- Fort Worth Flashback: FWHS predated today’s Paschal High
- Fort Worth Flashback: Business colleges prepared students to work in bustling city
- Fort Worth Flashback: Alexander Hogg School honored first superintendent
- More »