Home > News > Flashback
Fort Worth Flashback
The City of Fort Worth's City News presents a weekly article highlighting a local history topic using photographs found in the Library's archives. The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-392-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
This lady's dance card was printed for the Fort Worth Rifles Military Ball held at Godwin’s Hall on Dec. 3, 1884. Lady's dance card listed dances, with space for men to reserve a dance.
June 24, 2016
- Military Ball, 1884 (June 24, 2016)
- Miss Juneteenth 1984 reigns over Sycamore Park (June 17, 2016)
- History by handlebars (June 7, 2016)
- Reby Cary served Fort Worth in Legislature (June 3, 2016)
- Archives show military life during Philippine-American War (May 28, 2016)
- Colonial goes high-tech (May 20, 2016)
- Broiles, sixth mayor of Fort Worth (May 13, 2016)
- Spring Palace showcased Texas wares, ended tragically (May 6, 2016)
- Mayfest celebrates city’s relationship with Trinity River (April 29, 2016)
- Cowtown Blues, mid-70s edition (April 22, 2016)
- 111 years ago, 16 cars were buzzing around Fort Worth (April 15, 2016)
- Interurban connected Fort Worth, Dallas in 1900 (April 8, 2016)
- Subway shuttled shoppers to Leonards, Central Library and beyond (April 3, 2016)
- Ladies Brass Band filled a unique niche (March 25, 2016)
- Ladies of the Oriental Shrine promoted fellowship, betterment of members (March 18, 2016)
- Pauline Gasca Valenciano, community and public servant (March 11, 2016)
- Meet the first director of Fort Worth's Girl Scouts (March 4, 2016)
- Florence B. Brooks Club celebrates Evening in Paris (Feb. 26, 2016)
- L.B. Adams pastored at Corinth Baptist Church for more than 33 years (Feb. 19, 2016)
- African-American Masonry in Fort Worth extends to 1889 (Feb. 11, 2016)
- YMCA branch for African-Americans started in 1903 (Feb. 5, 2016)
- In Legislature, Reby Cary stood up for Fort Worth (Jan. 29, 2016)
- 1941 Stock Show midway provides thrills (Jan. 22, 2016)
- 4H, FFA participants grab some grub in 1973 (Jan. 15, 2016)
- 1929 ushered in stock show, rodeo (Jan. 8, 2016)
- All-Western Stock Show Parade gallops through downtown (Dec. 30, 2015)
- Holiday memories at Tarrant County Building & Loan (Dec. 23, 2015)
- First National workers get in the holiday spirit (Dec. 18, 2015)
- Library patrons enjoy festive times in 1961 (Dec. 11, 2015)
- Remember holiday shopping at Leonard's? (Dec. 4, 2015)
- Pummill Meat Market stocked early Fort Worth kitchens (Nov. 25, 2015)
- 1963 editorial remembers Kennedy legacy (Nov. 20, 2015)
- Westcliff provides shopping convenience since 1945 (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Cowtown celebrates Armistice Day (Nov. 6, 2015)
- View city correspondence dating to 1895 (Oct. 30, 2015)
- Early settler Daggett, wife buried in Birdville Cemetery (Oct. 23, 2015)
- McLean Middle School was like new in '54 (Oct. 16, 2015)
- Frogs vs. Hogs, 1938 (Oct. 8, 2015)
- Roll out the barrel for Oktoberfest (Oct. 2, 2015)
- City Hall construction completed in 1972 (Sept. 25, 2015)
- Carnegie Library anchored downtown for years (Sept. 18, 2015)
- SH 121 Southbound at Sylvania Avenue Closed through August 2016
- Naval Air Station's contribution: $6.6 billion
- Independence Day closing schedule
- City Council releases meeting schedule for summer
- Celebrate Independence Day safely, legally — leave fireworks to the pros
- More News »
Glenmont, Wilkie Way, Winifred & Wonder Construction Meeting: 6 p.m. June 30, 2016; Westcreek Elementary School, 3401 Walton 76132.
10th Street Sidewalks & Bike Lanes Project Meeting: 6 p.m. June 30, 2016; Fort Worth Central Library - Chappell Room, 500 West 3rd St.
Titus Paulsel Park Playground Project Meeting: 6 p.m. June 30, 2016; Sycamore Community Center, 2525 East Rosedale St.
Area Metropolitan Ambulance Authority - Board of Directors: 8 a.m. July 1, 2016; MedStar Mobile Healthcare, 2900 Alta Mere Dr.
View the agenda »
City Hall Closed - 4th of July Holiday : 8 a.m. July 4, 2016; City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.
Canceled Pre-Council & Council Meetings - Summer Break: 3 p.m. July 5, 2016; Pre-Council Chamber, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 1000 Throckmorton St.