Fort Worth Flashback: Elks Lodge started out downtown
Posted June 25, 2012
An early location for Elks Lodge No. 124 was at Lamar and West Seventh streets in downtown Fort Worth.
This lodge preceded one at 512 W. Fourth St., which today is home to the Fort Worth YWCA.
The 500-pound elk in front of the building was presented to the lodge in 1912 by Star-Telegram publisher Amon Carter. It was moved to two subsequent lodge locations, including today’s facility at 3233 White Settlement Road.
The Fort Worth Library has approximately 10,000 items pertaining to the history of Fort Worth and Tarrant County. These items include city and county government documents, newspapers, directories, cemetery association records, maps as well as popular and scholarly books written by local authors or about local subjects. To learn more, call 817-392-7740 or email the Genealogy, History and Archives Section.
- Fort Worth Flashback: Visitors waltzed across Texas at Spring Palace galas
- Fort Worth Flashback: Concerts in the Garden have been relieving summer heat since 1990
- Fort Worth Flashback: Van Cliburn Competition awards a new generation of classical masters
- Fort Worth Flashback: Cats hosted many big-league players
- Fort Worth Flashback: Symphony celebrating a century of making beautiful music
- More »