Air Quality Study
Updated July 14, 2011
The City of Fort Worth is home to extensive natural gas production and exploration activity. Due to advances in drilling and exploration technology over the last 10 years, the Barnett Shale gas play, much of which is located within the Fort Worth city limits, has seen a large increase in activity. Natural gas wells, compressor stations, and other related operations such as drilling and fracturing occur throughout the city, and often near where residents work and live.Some residents have expressed concern to City officials about the air pollution released from these operations.
Over the last two years, several organizations have studied how natural gas operations in Fort Worth affect air pollution levels. These studies offered useful insights into local air quality issues, but they were not comprehensive.
Earlier this year, City officials decided to fund an independent study to further examine how local natural gas production and exploration activity affects air quality. After an open bidding process, the City selected Eastern Research Group, Inc. (ERG) to conduct the new study—the Fort Worth Natural Gas Air Quality Study.
The Fort Worth Natural Gas Air Quality Study will collect information to help City officials answer the following questions:
- How much air pollution is being released by natural gas exploration in Fort Worth?
- Do sites comply with environmental regulation?
- How do releases from these sites affect off-site air pollution levels?
- Are the City's required setbacks for these sites adequate to protect public health?
- Fort Worth Natural Gas Air Quality Study Update (July 2012)
- Natural Gas Air Quality Study (Final Report)
- Final report to be delivered July 13
- Jan. 30-Feb. 16, 2011
- Interim Report (Feb. 15, 2011)
- Jan. 16-29, 2011
- Jan. 5-14, 2011
- Council amends air quality study contract
- Oct. 11-24, 2010
- Sept. 27-Oct. 10, 2010
- Sept. 13-26, 2010
- Aug. 30-Sept. 12, 2010
- Activity through August 2010
- Project Overview
- Ambient Air Monitoring Fact Sheet
- Ambient Air Monitoring Quality Assurance Project Fact Sheet
- Point Source Testing Plan Fact Sheet