Children in the Workplace
The City of Fort Worth is committed to being a family friendly employer. As such, the City recognizes the needs of its employees to be able to respond to dependent care issues in their families. Supervisors are encouraged to be sensitive to the needs of employees who require time off to deal with dependent care issues. Whenever possible, employees should plan for such time off in advance, however, it is understood that it cannot always be predicted when a family member may require medical care or when a child care or elder care arrangement may break down.
In rare cases, it may be necessary for employees to bring their children to the worksite during regular work hours for short periods of time. In such instances, this period of time should not exceed one hour. In such cases, the following guidelines should be followed:
- Prior approval must be obtained from the supervisor
- Children must be escorted and supervised at all times
- For safety reasons children will be prohibited from manufacturing areas, hazardous materials areas, forklift or pallet jack traffic areas, areas requiring a security clearance, and areas requiring safety equipment or clothing.
- Children will not be permitted in public service areas.
- Employees are responsible for the actions of their children. If the child is disruptive, the employee will be asked to take the child out of the workplace.
- Children with contagious illnesses are not allowed at the workplace.
- Permission to bring a child to work is a privilege, not a right or entitlement. Management reserves the right to make decisions regarding bring children to work in the best interest of the organization. These decisions are not grievable
- Circumstances which may warrant the presence of children at the worksite during regular work hours include: a breakdown of childcare arrangements or Before or after scheduled doctor appointments.
Children under the age of eight should not be in the workplace except under the following circumstances:
- Children may come in to visit parents briefly at worksites to see their parents' work environment and to meet the parents' co-workers.
- Children may be allowed at the worksite on a regular basis when it is necessary to pick a parent up from work. In such cases, children must be supervised by the accompanying adult, and must wait outside of the work area. If children are disruptive, the accompanying adult will be asked to take them out of the workplace.
Site management may set additional guidelines to fit the operations at a particular location. In addition, locations may choose to participate in "Take Your Child to Work" day events at the discretion of the Site Management.
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Hours of Operation:
8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Talent Acquisition: 817-392-7750
- Fax: 817-392-8869
- City of Fort Worth Employee Leave & Accrual Balance: 817-392-8989