Education Substitution Criteria
Issued: March 2017
HR Advisories are intended to assist with the clarification or interpretation of Personnel Rules & Regulations, provide guidelines on procedures, provide additional detail or information on a Rule, describe Best Practices or serve as a teaching resource.
The City of Fort Worth Human Resources department has announced an exciting change to its’ hiring policy that will allow potential job candidates to substitute relevant work experience for traditional education requirements when applying for open positions. The HR team will implement a 2 to 1 ratio of work experience to education in order to qualify talent for open positions. This means all internal and external job candidates, regardless of their level of traditional education, will be considered for open positions if they have significant, relevant work experience.
Here’s how it works:
A Master Degree requirement
- Bachelor Degree + 4 additional years relevant job experience
- Associate Degree + 8 additional years relevant job experience
- High School/GED + 12 additional years relevant experience
A Bachelor Degree requirement
- Associate Degree + 4 additional years relevant job experience
- High School/GED + 8 additional years relevant job experience
A 2 to 1 ratio (Experience to Education) means candidates applying for a job requesting a Bachelors degree and three years of relevant job experience can have:
- Associate Degree + 7 years relevant job experience (4 additional years of relevant job experience + the 3 years relevant job experience requirement of the position)
- High School/GED + 11 years relevant job experience (8 additional years of relevant job experience + the 3 years relevant job experience requirement of the position)
This new policy change is designed to contribute to the size and depth of the talent pool that the city can tap into, while also increasing the level of diversity of candidates and allowing the city to be more competitive when recruiting in the current job market. The only exceptions to this policy will be when a degree is absolutely required in order to perform the essential duties of the position (i.e. an attorney must have a Juris Doctorate to legally practice law).
For positions that require only a high school diploma or GED, candidates without a high school diploma or GED will be considered if they have at least two additional years of job related experience. However, those candidates will not be considered for positions that require an Associate degree or above. Additionally, candidates hired who do not possess a high school diploma or GED will not be eligible for promotion to positions that require an Associate Degree or above. (Example: For a position that requires a high school diploma or GED, plus two years’ experience, candidates without a high school diploma or GED must have at least four years of job-related experience to be considered.)
For questions please contact the Human Resources Department.
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Hours of Operation:
8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Talent Acquisition: 817-392-7750
- Fax: 817-392-8869
- City of Fort Worth Employee Leave & Accrual Balance: 817-392-8989