Leave of Absence
Issued: Oct. 5, 2011
Revised: Oct. 8, 2014
HR Advisories are intended to assist with the clarification or interpretation of Personnel Rules & Regulations, provide guidelines on procedures, provide additional detail or information on a Rule, describe Best Practices or serve as a teaching resource.
This policy applies to all regular (non-temporary) employees of the City of Fort Worth.
Leave of Absence – Absence from duty for more than one full pay period.
Leave of Absence without pay – Employee will not receive any type of pay/income from the City during the absence from duty. Placing an employee on a leave without pay will stop all leave accruals; holiday pay; and holiday accruals during the absence. Leave of absence without pay will also stop all additional pays including bilingual pay; certification pay; educational incentive pay; etc. For shorter periods without pay, use the TRC “WPY” on the timesheet for the hours (less than one full workday) without pay or use the absence event “Absence Without Pay Take” for full day absences without pay. For these shorter periods of absence without pay (less than a pay period) leave accruals will be prorated.
Leave of Absence with pay - Employee will receive some type of pay while absent from duty.
Any pay for leave will be in accordance with the policy for the specific leave that the employee is utilizing.
Generally, a leave of absence without pay may be granted by a department director for reasons that benefit both the City and the employee. The specific policies regarding the circumstances and approval authority for placing an employee on a leave of absence with or without pay are cited in the Personnel Rules and Regulations. Please see the full Personnel Rules and Regulations for details on leave of absence and leave policies.
Once it has been determined that the employee meets the criteria for a leave of absence with or without pay, a PAR should be initiated using one of the following action/reason code combinations.
Unpaid leave of absence
- Education - CFW Action/Reason (LOA/EDU) combination used to indicate an unpaid leave of absence for educational reasons. Employee has exhausted all entitlement balances.
- Family and medical leave act - CFW Action/Reason (LOA/FML) combination used when an employee goes out on an approved unpaid FMLA leave. Employee has exhausted all entitlement balances.
- Health reasons - CFW Action/Reason (LOA/HEA) combination used to indicate an unpaid leave of absence for health reasons. Employee has exhausted all entitlement balances and does not qualify for FMLA leave. (even if the employee qualified for FMLA but didn’t have any leave available the employee should be on an unpaid leave)
- Military service - CFW Action/Reason combination (LOA/MIL) used to indicate an unpaid leave of absence for military service reasons. Employee has exhausted all entitlement balances, is no longer entitled to military supplement and is receiving no compensation.
- Worker’s compensation leave - CFW Action/Reason (LOA/WKC) combination used to indicate an unpaid leave of absence for a worker’s compensation incident. Employee has exhausted all leave/pay entitlements and is no longer receiving any compensation.
Paid leave of absence
- Administrative leave - CFW Action/Reason (PLA/ADL) combination used to place an employee on an approved paid leave of absence for administrative reasons, in accordance with the PRRs. In these cases the employee is not using their paid leave balances. Hours on the timesheet should be coded with the TRC REG. Also, comments should be added to the comment bubble on the timesheet for the first day of the absence period indicating that this is an administrative leave.
- Donated leave - CFW Action/Reason (PLA/DNL) combination used to place an employee on a paid leave of absence while they are using voluntary leave bank hours OR donated leave. This is used in conjunction with the appropriate absence name on the employee’s timesheet (donated leave or voluntary leave bank).
- Military deployment - CFW Action/Reason combination (PLA/MIL) used to place an employee on a paid leave of absence for military deployment leave. This action/reason is the trigger that is used when the employee is determined to be eligible for a manually calculated military supplement using the TRC MLS on the timesheet. It is also used if the employee is using an approved paid leave such as vacation or comp time used to cover all or a portion of their deployment time.
- Military training leave - CFW Action/Reason (PLA/MTL) combination used to place an employee on a paid leave of absence for military training leave for more than one full pay period and used in conjunction with the military leave TRC (MLV) on the employee’s timesheet.
For additional information please call the HR HRIS Manager at 817-392-7567 or the Assistant HR Director at 817-392-2632. Any questions regarding Workers’ Compensation should be referred to OHS at 817-392-8529.
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Hours of Operation:
8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Talent Acquisition: 817-392-7750
- Fax: 817-392-8869
- City of Fort Worth Employee Leave & Accrual Balance: 817-392-8989