Home > Departments > Human Resources > Out Processing Terminating Employees

Out Processing Terminating Employees

Issued: Feb. 26, 2013

Reissued: Oct. 8, 2014

HR Advisories are intended to assist with the clarification or interpretation of Personnel Rules & Regulations, provide guidelines on procedures, provide additional detail or information on a Rule, describe Best Practices or serve as a teaching resource.


All City General employees who voluntary separate, are involuntarily terminated or who retire from the City.


Resignations should be in writing, signed by the employee, and preferably submitted at least two weeks before the effective date.

Processing Separations

Department must follow rules for terminating an employee as outlined in the Personnel Rules and Regulations. In general, the following steps should be followed by the designated department employee (usually either the HRC or the supervisor):

  • Schedule a time to meet with employee to complete the Employee Out Processing Form.
  • Departments are responsible for obtaining all city-issued property (e.g., I.D. cards, keys, purchasing cards, tools, communication devices, electronic equipment, manuals, protective gear, uniforms, etc.) and determining if the separating employees owes the City any money (e.g. tuition reimbursement) during the separation process. The cost of city property not returned or funds owed by employees may be deducted from the employee’s final paycheck. A completed Out-Processing form should indicate any city property not returned/funds not repaid and the cost of each item listed.
  • Confirm the last registered address of the separating employee and make any changes in PeopleSoft as needed. Inform the separating employee that the final paycheck and the year–end W-2 will be sent to the last registered address in the system.
  • Review the Employee Out Processing form with the employee and have employee sign the Out Processing form.
  • Prepare The Personnel Action Request (PAR) using appropriate PAR separation code and gather any supporting documents if necessary. The PAR is usually completed on-line, but in special circumstances may be completed using a paper PAR
  • Send completed PAR, Out Processing Form and employee ID to the HRIS/Records office. If the employee ID is not sent to Records, it must be destroyed.
  • Due to payroll processing deadlines, any separation PARs received after 4:00 p.m. on the Wednesday in the week preceding payday will be processed the following pay period.
  • Per the Personnel Rules and Regulations related to separation and Identification Badges: “When an employee’s employment ends, the department’s HRC will retrieve the employee Identification Badge and other City property. If an employee terminates employment without notice, the department’s HRC will contact the Marshal’s Office immediately to cancel access codes associated with the Identification Badge. The HRC will attempt to contact the terminated employee to retrieve the Identification Badge and other City property in the ex-employee’s possession. The City may charge a former employee a reasonable fee if the employee does not return City property after the employee’s employment ends, and may deduct that reasonable fee from the former employee’s final paycheck.”

The following out processing actions take place after the department submits the separation paperwork:

  • The HRIS/Records Division of HR inputs separation PARs into PeopleSoft for the calculation of separation leave pay, if a terminal leave check is to be processed by Payroll. Records staff reviews the terminal leave amounts for errors.
  • The Payroll Division of the Finance Department processes the final payroll and terminal leave check.
  • The Payroll Division checks to determine if the employee owes the City any arrears for benefits or other reasons.
  • HR Benefits submits an arrears report each pay period to the Payroll Division for Payroll to update their records for any amounts owed by the employee. Payroll deducts as much as possible of what the employee owes the City from the final and terminal leave checks.
  • The final payroll check will be direct deposited to the employee’s banking institutions on the next regular pay day following the separation.
  • The terminal leave check will be mailed by certified mail to the terminated employee’s last address or the address provided on out-processing form unless arrangements are made by the employee to personally pick up the check. Departments should request the employee to complete the mailing address part of the out processing form.
  • Employees who have successfully completed their initial probationary period will be compensated for all accrued Vacation, Short Term Sick/Family leave, and holiday leave. Exempt and non-exempt employees will be paid for any accrued compensatory time.


For additional information please call the HR HRIS/Records Manager at 817-392-7567 or Assistant HR Director at 817-392-2632.

This HR Advisory is a brief synopsis of policy and any questions or apparent conflicts between an Advisory and City policy should be directed to the Human Resources Director or an Assistant HR Director for clarification.



200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Hours of Operation:

8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday

Contact Numbers:

  • Talent Acquisition: 817-392-7750
  • Fax: 817-392-8869
  • City of Fort Worth Employee Leave & Accrual Balance: 817-392-8989



ADA Email:


Accommodations & Accessibility

Accommodations are available for residents who have accessibility requirements. To learn more about accessibility accommodations available from the City of Fort Worth, visit the Accessibility page or request an accommodation due to disability.