Issued: Oct. 8, 2014
Reissued: April 18, 2018
Human Resources (HR) Advisories are intended to assist with the clarification or interpretation of Personnel Rules & Regulations, provide guidelines on procedures, provide additional detail or information on a Rule, describe Best Practices or serve as a teaching resource.
Employee organizations, associations and City-approved businesses or services.
Payroll deductions are available for legally-mandated deductions and deductions associated with City-sponsored programs. Payroll deductions are also available for membership dues for employee organizations, associations and other City-offered services.
Payroll deductions are available under the guidelines and procedures that follow:
- Employees may authorize or cancel a payroll deduction by completing and signing a Voluntary Payroll Deduction form or completing enrollment/registration with the City’s employee voluntary benefits and savings program vendor.
- The organization appropriately supports the values and strategic mission of the City as determined by the Human Resources Director or designee.
- Employee organizations must be chartered by the Texas Secretary of State to qualify for the payroll deduction service.
- There is no minimum membership requirement for employee organizations; however, administrative charges may be higher if the membership is small.
- Employees are assessed a minimum charge each payday for each deduction.
- No changes will be made to an employee’s payroll deduction without the authorization of the employee.
The City reserves the right to withdraw payroll deduction privileges for Employee Groups/Associations with 60 days advance notice for failure to meet the above requirements or when deemed in the best interest of the City.
Businesses and organizations may submit their products or services (including donations for charitable giving) for review of eligibility for payroll deduction to the Human Resources Director and for submission to the City’s voluntary employee benefits and savings program vendor. Requests to provide business services through payroll deduction are evaluated on the following:
- Appropriateness of product or services to the employees of the City
- Nature and amount (discount) of the benefit to employees
- The anticipated level of employee interest in the product or service
- Impact on the City’s or the City’s voluntary employee benefits and savings program vendor’s administration system and personnel
Businesses approved for payroll deduction may be assessed an initial setup charge, a service fee for each deduction each payday, and an individual service fee for each employee’s deduction for each pay period by the City’s voluntary employee benefits and savings program vendor.The City has relationships with local organizations (e.g. the United Way of Metropolitan Tarrant County, YMCA, and Brotherhood For the Fallen), whose missions are consistent with City Council’s Strategic Goals. These organizations will remain exempt from this Policy as determined by the Human Resources Director or designee. The Human Resources Director or designee, in consultation with the City’s voluntary employee benefits and savings program vendor, will also make the final decision if a product or service or charitable organization will be offered through payroll deduction under this Policy.
The City reserves the right to limit the approval to a reasonable number of providers with duplicate services. The City also reserves the right to withdraw payroll deduction privileges for businesses and organizations with 60 days advance notice when deemed in the best interest of the City.
For additional information, please call the Assistant HR Director at 817-392-8058 or another Assistant HR Director at 817-392-2632.
This HR Advisory is a brief synopsis of policy and any questions or apparent conflicts between an Advisory and City policy should be directed to the Human Resources Director or an Assistant HR Director for clarification.
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Hours of Operation:
8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Talent Acquisition: 817-392-7750
- Fax: 817-392-8869
- City of Fort Worth Employee Leave & Accrual Balance: 817-392-8989