Fire Fighter Trainee Information
The City of Fort Worth Fire Department does more than just fight fires. Protecting one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country requires us to provide a wide range of services to our community.
These services include emergency preparedness, education, prevention, and response. Our territory covers over 345 square miles, and we answer more than 80,000 calls each year.
Through a visionary administration and a skilled and dedicated workforce of more than 900 employees, the Fort Worth Fire Department has become one of the most efficient and respected in America. We hope you will consider joining our team and help us continue the tradition.
- Applicants must successfully pass a written test, an aerobic capacity run, a physical assessment test, a background check, a polygraph examination, interview and medical/physical examination.
- Education — High school diploma, G.E.D. Certificate or 12 semester hours of college.
- Residency — Must live within 30 minutes of designated report-in station; must be accomplished within six (6) months of employment.
- Age Requirements — 18-35 years of age. (Cannot have reached 36th birthday by date of entry-level exam.)
- Licenses — Valid and current Class "C" Driver's License. (Will be required to obtain Class "B" while in training.)
- Base Salary: $19.19 hourly ($39,915 annually) while training; $24.42 hourly ($50,794 annually) upon graduation.
- Longevity Pay: $4 per month times the number of years of service, up to 25 years.
- Incentive Pay: $60 per month for associate's degree, or $120 per month for a bachelor's degree following one (1) year of service after commissioned (college degrees must be in related areas);
- Uniforms: Uniforms will be issued.
- Bilingual Incentive Pay: $100 per month upon successful completion of language Spanish proficiency test and use of that language on the job.
- Promotions: Promotions are granted on basis of competitive civil service examinations.
- Three weeks paid vacation
- Nine paid holidays
- Seven days family sick leave
- Retirement fund
- Credit union
- Military leave
- Co-paid group hospitalization and life insurance available in service area
- Fifteen days sick leave each year
View the latest Civil Service Exam results.
Complete our job interest card in order to be notified of the next application process. Your name and address will be added to a database and we will notify you prior to the application process. The Civil Service exam will be given upon meeting minimum qualifications.
Fort Worth Fire Recruitment
Human Resources Department
200 Texas St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
An equal opportunity employer — The City of Fort Worth affords Equal Employment Opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion,age, disability status or sexual orientation.