Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is used to request materials not available in the Fort Worth Library collection.
How Does ILL Work?
Once available, your loan will be sent to your designated pickup location and you will be sent a notification email. When you are finished with the item, please return it to your nearest Fort Worth Library.
How to place a request using Texas Group Catalog
Please take a moment to read these instructions before proceeding with your request.
Please check the Fort Worth Library catalog before requesting materials through ILL. Requests for items owned by Fort Worth Library will be cancelled even if the material is available for library-use only. If not owned:
- Search for material in the Texas Group Catalog using the basic default search or the Advanced Search. The search box is at the top of this page.
- A list of search results will appear. To narrow your search results, use the options on the left side.
- When you have decided on a specific record, click on the title.
- Check to be sure that Fort Worth Library does not appear in the results list as owning the title.
- Click on the Request Item button.
- Choose Fort Worth Library from the resulting drop-down list. Note that you should check the “Keep me logged in” box unless you are on a public computer.
- Click Continue and log in with your library card number and PIN.
- On the Request This Item screen, complete all required fields.
- Select a pickup branch.
- You must include an email address.
- Click Continue to submit your request.
- Your ILL requests can be reviewed by logging in to My Requests once you are on the Texas Group page. This option is found under the top-left Texas Group Catalog link.
If you need help requesting an ILL, please contact your library for assistance.
Things to Remember
- To request items, you must have a current Fort Worth Library card in good standing.
- There is a maximum limit of 10 active ILL requests per library card, and there is a maximum limit of 10 regular requests per library card. Once an ILL request arrives a hold will be placed on you library card which will count against your limit of 10 regular holds per card. What this means is you will need to leave room or make room on your Fort Worth library card for any ILL requests so they can be processed when they arrive.
- If an ILL request arrives and cannot be processed it will be returned to the lending library after 1 week, at which point you will need to place a new request.
- Active ILL requests are requests waiting to be filled, waiting to be picked up, already checked out to the card, and items in transit back to the Interlibrary Loan unit for processing to be returned to the lending library.
- ILL only sends notifications via email. You must include an email address when you place your request. If you do not have an email address, you may sign up for one free of charge from services such as Gmail, Yahoo, or Hotmail.
- There is no charge for most ILL requests. If a lending library charges fees to borrow their materials, we would proceed only with your pre-approval of the cost.
- Non-residents to Fort Worth may use ILL services by paying normal Non-resident fees.
- If you are a member of a MetrOPAC library, you must place the ILL request with your home library.
- Everyone placing a request must provide a current email address when placing a request.
- Fines for items returned overdue, fees for lost materials, and other possible fees set by a lending library still apply.
- Interlibrary Loan items are subject to standard Fort Worth Library fines for overdues.
- If an item is lost or damaged, you are responsible for the replacement cost plus any additional processing fees assessed by the lending library. ILL staff will contact the lending library to determine that amount.
- Interlibrary Loan materials must be checked out with the same Fort Worth card used to place the request.
- Once an item arrives at your selected pick up location it will be held for 10 days before being returned to the lending library.
- Check out period is determined by the lending library.
- One renewal of 2 weeks may be requested from the lending library if the item is not overdue. If the renewal is not granted by the lending library you will receive an email notification, usually within 48 hours, and be asked to return the item as soon as possible. Please contact ILL staff to request the renewal or a staff member at your local library can call on your behalf.
- Please allow several weeks (2-6) for processing and mailing.
- ILL requests are considered for purchase for the library collection. If we decide to buy this item, we will notify you that this ILL request has been changed to a purchase. You will be able to place a hold on the title once it appears in the Library catalog.
- You may also make a Suggestion for Purchase through the Fort Worth Library catalog.
If you have questions about your request contact the Fort Worth Library ILL unit:
Hours: Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Last updated: Sept. 3, 2015