Updated May 2012
I. General Policies
- The Fort Worth Library offers the opportunity to develop exhibits that meet the mission to improve cultural awareness and local historical appreciation as well as promote the pursuit of lifelong learning and reading.
- Exhibits are to be respectful of the Library’s multi-purpose community and public service use. In the course of a year, exhibits present a broad spectrum of culture as well as a variety of viewpoints. Neither the Library nor the City of Fort Worth necessarily endorses the beliefs or viewpoints within the subject of an exhibit, whether Library-initiated or sponsored by an outside individual or community group.
- The Library evaluates proposals based on the following criteria: Is the exhibit appropriate for the Library? Does the exhibit support the mission and goals of the Library and the City of Fort Worth? Is the exhibit of interest to a substantial portion of the community? Does the exhibit contribute to representing a diverse range of viewpoints and interests?
- The regulations and procedures outlined in this document govern exhibits at the Library. Branch managers have the authority to approve exhibits in consultation with the programming staff.
- The exhibit space is not intended for advertising or commercial purposes. Exhibit items cannot have prices affixed. Exhibitors may provide a printed catalog listing the exhibited materials with contact information, but no specific prices. Sale of exhibit items is prohibited at the Library.
- The Library assumes no responsibility or liability for the safekeeping of any exhibit.
II. Proposal and Approval Process
- Exhibits may be scheduled up to two years in advance.
- Exhibitors wanting to use exhibit space at the Library must complete the Fort Worth Library Exhibit Proposal. The proposal document can be found in the Exhibitor Packet. The Library prefers to receive proposals at least six months prior to the proposed installation date.
- The programming staff reviews proposals. Exhibitors receive notice of a decision as quickly as feasible via telephone, email or letter.
- The library reserves the right to pre-empt any exhibit or display space for a Library- or City- sponsored exhibit or event. In such instances, the Library puts forth a reasonable effort to give advance notice of such pre-emption and assist in reserving another date. Priority is given to the Library’s annual heritage events and exhibits sponsored by The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation or Friends of Fort Worth Public Library, Inc.
- Exhibits generally last at least 8-12 weeks. Unless approved in advance by the Library, no portion of the exhibit may leave before the agreed-upon conclusion dates.
III. Shipping and Delivery
- Shipping, delivery and pickup of all exhibit materials are the sole responsibility of the exhibitor. The Library does not pay for any of these services.
- The Library cannot store items before the exhibit opens or after it closes. Unless approved in advance by the Library, delivery and installation take place on a single business day during normal operating hours. The Fort Worth Library Exhibit Agreement in the Exhibitor Packet contains details on installation and removal.
- The small garage off 2nd Street on the north side of the Library has space available for loading and unloading. Vehicles cannot block the doors or parking spots, and must relocate after moving materials. The Library can validate tickets for 2½ hours free parking from two nearby garages: 3rd & Taylor and Belknap & Taylor. The Library has several parking meters and pay parking lots nearby. Meters are free after 6 pm weekdays and all day weekends.
- Exhibitors are responsible for providing insurance. The Library does not insure exhibits and accepts no liability or responsibility for any part of the exhibit.
- Exhibitors perform their own installation or provide qualified installers. Staff can answer installation requirement questions. Unless approved in advance by the Library, staff cannot provide any assistance with installation or removal. Exhibitors work at their own risk.
- The Gallery has approximately 6,000 square feet of floor space and 248 linear feet of wall display space. The sections are approximately 20, 21, 26, 29, 30, 33 and 89 linear feet. The West Wing has approximately 850 square feet of floor space and 83 linear feet of wall display space. Six sections are approximately 3 linear feet, five sections are 13 linear feet. See Central Library Exhibit Spaces in the Exhibitor Packet for details about the Display Case and pictures of each area.
- Two-dimensional items must be framed and installed using the wire management system. Exhibitors are required to provide materials for installation. Nails are prohibited in the Library. Three-dimensional items must be in cases provided or situated on the floor so as not to damage it. All mounted signs and labels must be adhered without leaving holes, stains or other damage. See Central Library Gallery Hanging Procedure in the Exhibitor Packet for more details.
- Unless approved in advance by the Library, exhibitors provide labels. Exhibitors submit labels for review before installation. See Fort Worth Library Exhibit Labels & Signage in the Exhibitor Packet for more details.
- If the entire exhibit is not ready on the agreed-upon installation date, the Library may choose to cancel the exhibit.
- Exhibitors are responsible for cleaning up after installation and removal.
- Carts and dollies used in the Gallery must have soft rubber wheels or tires.
- Unless approved in advance by the Library, an exhibit may not include Library materials.
- Exhibitors are responsible for framing items. The Library has a limited selection of frames and display boxes of varying dimensions available to borrow for exhibitions. Exhibitors wanting to borrow frames or boxes should discuss options with staff at the time of the agreement.
V. Maintenance and Removal
- The Library recommends exhibitors visit exhibits periodically to assure no portions have fallen or become otherwise unkempt. Exhibitors are responsible for any exhibit re-installation.
- Unless approved in advance by the Library, removal of the entire exhibit occurs on a single business day during normal operating hours.
- The Library will not store items after the removal. Unless approved in advance by the Library, items left more than seven days become the property of the Library and the City of Fort Worth.
- Exhibitors are liable for any damages to Library property and equipment resulting from failure to follow the proper procedures. Library staff can immediately remove any item violating policy. Exhibitors who do not adhere to policy are prohibited from future exhibiting.
VI. Promotion and Receptions
- The Library strives to present a basic level of promotional support for the exhibit, as resources allow. Typically, the Library provides exhibit signage and includes the exhibit on the Library’s website, email blast, and social networks, but promotions can vary. See Central Library Exhibit Labels & Signage in the Exhibitor Packet for more details.
- The Library must approve all printed and promotional items related to the exhibit prior to publication and distribution. Exhibitors may not use logos of the Library or the City of Fort Worth without advance Library approval.
- Exhibitors can schedule related receptions in the meeting rooms adjoining the Gallery and are subject to the regulations of the meeting room policies.
- If the reception is free and open to the public, the Library may choose to co-sponsor the event. If the Library is a co-sponsor, there are no meeting room rental fees. The Library may also waive fees for events sponsored by key partner organizations, such as the Friends of the Fort Worth Public Library and the Fort Worth Public Library Foundation.
- Exhibitors wanting a private reception must follow the procedure in the meeting room policies. The Library schedules meeting rooms based on availability. There are rental fees for meeting room use.
- The Library recognizes this policy cannot address all possible situations, and it is not an all-inclusive document. Situations not specifically addressed in the policy are handled as they arise.
- In the event of a cancellation, exhibitors must provide notification at least 30 days before installation. Exhibitors who cancel with under 30 days notice forfeit the ability to exhibit at the Library for one year.
- The Library allows photographing and filming of exhibits. These images can be reproduced for any purpose, including publicity. Exhibitors will not receive compensation for such use.
Updated 5 June 2012