Local History Photos
The following historic images have been selected from the photograph collection of the Fort Worth Library, which includes photographs of street scenes, people, parks, parades, military, schools, churches, and businesses.
Local history images may be obtained by contacting the Genealogy, Local History & Archives Unit: by mail at 500 W. 3rd Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76102-7305, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (817) 392-7740.
The Materials Request and Permission Reproduce form may be viewed here, which covers pricing, rights to reproduce, copyright permissions, and the publication or display credit line to be used. Most of the photographs in the collection may be published, broadcast or displayed online with the permission of the department. One-time publication uses are included in the photograph order fee; additional uses and broadcast licenses may incur extra fees..
Van Zandt Cottage (ca. 1860)
The Van Zandt cottage at 2900 Crestline Road has played an important role in Fort Worth’s history. Major Khleber Miller Van Zandt settled in Fort Worth after the Civil War. Between 1871 and 1873, Van Zandt acquired about 600 acres of land to the west of the newly incorporated city of Fort Worth. Some of Van Zandt’s property was purchased by the City of Fort Worth in 1892 to build a water treatment plant and city park. In 1936, the city purchased from the Van Zandt family most of the land that is now considered the Cultural District. This purchase included the cabin. The cabin is the only structure of its type in Fort Worth still in its original location. However, the home has been significantly modified over the years. Fort Worth architect Joseph R. Pelich was hired to restore the cabin in 1936. The original home had unpainted board siding, which was replaced with a more modern wood siding and has been painted gray. Shutters were also added to the windows and additions were made in the rear to provide space for a museum. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
Northside Coliseum (1908 - )
The coliseum opened in 1908 and is located in the Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District. Designed by Berkley Brandt, the coliseum was built to house the Annual Fort Worth Fat Stock Show. The building was constructed in the Mission Revival Style with arched windows and parapets. In 1918 the coliseum staged the world’s first indoor rodeo. Entertainers such as Bob Hope and Enrico Caruso have performed at the coliseum.
Flatiron Building (1907 - )
Located at the intersection of Houston, Jennings and Ninth Street the Flatiron Building was designed by the noted architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats. Inspired by a similar building in New York City, the building was commissioned by Dr. Bacon Sanders, a surgeon who served as dean of the Fort Worth Medical College. At the time it was built it was the tallest building in north Texas. The building was constructed in the Renaissance Revival style with a two-story base supporting five stories. It is capped with a cast-iron cornice. It is the only flatiron building in Texas. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
City Hall/Public Safety and Courts Building (1938 - )
Located on 1000 Throckmorton this building was constructed as part of the Works Progress Administration. It was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and Elmer G. Withers. The building is noted for its Minnesota black granite portico, aluminum windows, and terrazzo floors. In 1971, the city of Fort Worth moved its offices to a new facility across the street. The building was renamed the Public Safety and Courts Building.
Buckley Burton (B.B.) Paddock (1844 - 1922)
A native of Ohio, Paddock fought in the Civil War as a confederate soldier and later became a lawyer in Mississippi. He moved to Fort Worth in 1872. He was a founder of the Fort Worth Democrat Newspaper, President of the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway, and founder of the Fort Worth Board of Trade. He was mayor of Fort Worth from 1892 to 1900. Because of his contributions to the city a bridge that connects the downtown area with northern sections of the city was named in his honor.
E.M. Daggett (1810 - 1883)
Born in Upper Canada, Daggett settled in Tarrant County in 1854. He campaigned for Fort Worth to replace Birdville as county seat. When the Texas and Pacific Railway planned its line through Fort Worth, Daggett donated 96 acres for a depot and tracks. After the arrival of the railroad, Daggett devoted most of his time to promoting Fort Worth and earned recognition as the "Father of Fort Worth."
Polytechnic High School (1937 - )
Designed by Joseph R. Pelich at a cost of $483,000, Polytechnic High School was built to replace the old Polytechnic school on Nashville Avenue. Located on the corner of E. Rosedale and Conner, the high school is an example Georgian Classicism design. Additions were added to the school in 1954 and 2003.
Carter-Riverside High School (1936 - )
Located on Yucca Avenue the school was named after businessman and civic leader Amon G. Carter. The school was designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick. Additions were added to the school in the 1950s and 1980s. The building was awarded an historical marker in 1983.
Blackstone Hotel (1929 - )
Initially named the Blue Bonnet Hotel when it was built, the hotel changed to its current name just after it opened. The building is noted for its Art Deco form. Such noteworthy people as Bob Hope, Clark Gable and Richard Nixon have stayed at the Blackstone. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Paddock Viaduct (1913 - )
Known as the Main Street Viaduct, it was constructed in 1913 and named after businessman and mayor B.B. Paddock. The bridge was renovated in 1965 and 1988. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Updated 28 December 2012