Volunteer Opportunities at the Fort Worth Library
The Library system includes Central in downtown Fort Worth, two Regional libraries, 11 Neighborhood Branch libraries, and 2 Satellite Branches in public housing communities. There are over 2.5 million items in the library collection, we check out over 3 million items each year, and we have over 300,000 cardholders.
It takes a dedicated work force--both professional and volunteer--to provide this level of library service to the community.
We Need Your Help!
Volunteers come from all walks of life. Whether you are an adult, student, or senior citizen…employed or retired…an individual or part of a group, you will be a welcome addition to the library team.
Volunteering at the Fort Worth Public Library is open to anyone age 12 and over.
Most volunteers contribute 2-4 hours weekly. If you need a more concentrated time-placement, Special Events and Projects can be an option.
What You Can Do
There are volunteer opportunities throughout the Library system, both at Central and the various branches. Here is a listing of just a few of the skills needed:
- Youth Program Aide
- Circulation Assistant
- Computer Class Assistant
- Data Entry
- Genealogy Clerk
- Special Events Assistant
As a valued library Volunteer, you would be expected to:
- Accept direction and ask questions
- Be reliable, dependable and prompt
- Give adequate notice when not available for your assigned shift
- Dress appropriately
- Wear your volunteer badge when on duty
- Avoid personal calls or visits while you are working
- Keep accurate record of hours worked
- Enjoy your library service—have fun!
Benefits of Being a Library Volunteer
Volunteers are considered valued members of our library family. As a non-paid employee, you will:
- Receive training from an experienced, patient, well-informed supervisor
- Acquire new skills and knowledge
- Gain a sense of satisfaction in serving your community
- Support literacy and life-long learning
- Meet new and interesting people who share your love of books
- Have the opportunity to evaluate the Volunteer Program and your participation in it
- Be recognized through frequent expressions of appreciation
Special Volunteer "Exchange" Programs
(some restrictions apply)
These privileges may be exchanged for library volunteer service:
- Court-ordered community service
- Library fine repayment
- Out-of-city resident library cards.
For an application and information packet, contact:
Volunteer Services Coordinator
500 West 3rd. Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Library Orientation and Training provided at your placement location. Background checks are required for adult applicants. You may not volunteer at the Fort Worth Library if you have a theft or violent offense in your background.
Click here for:
Updated 10 January 2012