Alva Pearl Barrett was born in Gibson County, Tennessee on April 12, 1878. He moved to Fannin County, Texas in 1891 with his parents. A. P. Barrett served in the Texas State Legislature representing Bonham from 1902 - 1904, and served on the Texas State Senate from 1904 - 1908, where he was also Senate President Pro-Tem.
From 1908 - 1919, he practiced law in San Antonio. Around 1920, he was involved in the Ranger, Texas oil boom. Mr. Barrett established or bought several businesses, including the Texas-Louisiana Power Company and the Dixie Motor Coach Company out of Dallas, Texas Air Transport, Southern Air Transport (eventually became American Airlines) and radio station KTAT.
In 1930, he purchased an estate in the Rivercrest Addition in Fort Worth and built an airfield near it. In 1931, he built a 16 story building. A. P. Barrett died on March 23, 1953 and was laid to rest in San Antonio.
This collection was donated to Fort Worth Public Library Archives by Gretchen B. Barrett on September 2, 2009.
Scope and Contents Note
The A. P. Barrett Papers document his aviation and business interests in Fort Worth. The materials cover the period 1928-1982, and include news articles, programs, stationery, brochures, periodicals, photographs, and one album. The extent of the collection is 2 boxes. The collection has been arranged in five series.
- Series 1 (1929 - 1934, 1966): Brochure, Programs and Stationery
- Series 2 (1928 - 1932, 1976): Copies - consists of copies of newspaper and magazine articles.
- Series 3 (1929 -1932, 1976): Periodicals
- Series 4 ( - 1931): Photographs
- Series 5 (1929 - 1931, 1942, 1982): Over-sized Materials - consists of encapsulated news pages and one large album.
- Please see other aviation collections available in our Archives, such as Fort Worth Aviation Department and B-36 7th Bomb Wing Association Records.
- Smith, Bennett L., Community Public Service Company : Its History, People, and Places, Smith, Bennett L., (1975).
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: April 1, 2016