Ahdel Emma Reich Chadwick was known for her volunteer work on the Board of the Fort Worth Opera, including her work with the McCammon Voice Competition. She was named an Honorary Life Member of the Fort Worth Opera board. She was also active in the Woman’s Club and was treasurer and performer for the E. Clyde Whitlock Club. Ms. Chadwick also hosted participants of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in the early years of the contest and maintained a long correspondence with guest competitor Minoru Nojima, the 1969 second-place winner. Ms. Chadwick composed music and performed as a piano accompanist.
Ms. Chadwick was born in Fort Worth, Texas on August 13, 1914 to Bruno and Hilda Reich, who owned Reich’s Bakery. She was valedictorian at Central High School and majored in music at Vassar College. Ms. Chadwick married Kelroy Chadwick, a Fort Worth realtor, in 1942 and had a son, David, and a daughter, Susan, and three grandchildren. Ahdel Chadwick passed away in March 2013, preceded by her husband in 1956.
- Obituary. Fort Worth Star Telegram, Sunday, March 17, 2013.
The collection was donated to the library by David Chadwick on July 6, 2013.
Scope & Content Note
This collection of materials was assembled by Ahdel Chadwick. It consists of materials from the Fort Worth Opera, McCammon Voice Competition, Van Cliburn Competition, and programs from other performing arts events. It also includes records from the Whitlock Music Club, yearbooks from several clubs, school annuals and other school-related documents. Materials from Mr. and Mrs. Chadwick’s travels, datebooks, real estate documents, and photographs are also in the collection. The collection is arranged in fourteen series. The materials date from 1882 - 2013, and the collection measures 13.6 linear feet (28 boxes of materials).
- Series I: Fort Worth Opera (1916 - 2012) - consists of Fort Worth Opera programs for events, newsletters, and minutes from board meetings, and news clippings of events and people related to the Fort Worth Opera. Bulk dates are 1979 - 2012. The series is arranged alphabetically.
- Series II: McCammon Voice Competition (1989 - 2013) - related to the Fort Worth Opera Guild of Fort Worth’s Marguerite McCammon Voice Competitions. Among the items included are minutes from committee meetings, budgets, participant applications, and event programs. The original arrangement of the materials is maintained.
- Series III: Whitlock Music Club (1939 - 2013) - consists of yearbooks, treasurer reports and bills paid, officer logs, piano repair and insurance documents, and student aid recipient information for the E. Clyde Whitlock Music Club of Fort Worth. Three Cecilian Club yearbooks are also included in this series. Bulk dates are 1963 - 2010. Contents are arranged alphabetically by type of material.
- Series IV: Friday Lecture Club (1958 - 2012) - made up of yearbooks for the club. The yearbook for 2006 - 2007 is missing. This series is arranged chronologically.
- Series V: Van Cliburn (1966 - 2012) - consists of programs and other memorabilia from the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition and the International Piano Competition of Outstanding Amateurs as well as news clippings about the competitions and participating competitors. Bulk dates are 1990 - 2012. The collection is arranged alphabetically.
- Series VI: Vassar (1926 - ) - materials include programs, report cards, correspondence, and booklets concerning Vassar and educational topics.
- Series VII: Travel (1927 - 1990) - made up of materials pertaining to trips that Kelroy Chadwick made with the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce and personal trips that Ahdel Chadwick made by herself or with her husband. This series includes correspondence, itinerary, photographs, travel guides and maps, play and opera programs, and chamber of commerce publications. The items are arranged alphabetically. Bulk dates are 1949, 1979 - 1990.
- Series VIII: Datebooks (1929 - 1986) - consists of Ahdel Chadwick’s datebooks and one ledger. Materials are arranged chronologically.
- Series IX: Programs (1926 - 2009) - consists of programs from opera, theatre, musical and other events collected by Ahdel Chadwick.
- Series X : Real Estate (1923 - 1954) - tables for figuring taxes and amortization as well as road maps and reading aids. Bulk dates are 1940 - 1954. The items are arranged alphabetically.
- Series XI: New York (1946 - 1989) - includes books, booklets, correspondence and notes, and programs from Ahdel Chadwick’s time spent in New York.
- Series XII: Annuals (1956 - 1963) - consists of McLean Middle School and Pascal High School annuals. A 1961 Pascal Panther annual was deaccessioned due to mold and mildew contamination. A copy of this annual can be found in the Local History collection.
- Series XIII: Miscellaneous (1885 - 2001) - includes yearbooks from several clubs, such as Muarda and the Pickwick clubs, as well as Hockaday School handbooks and directory, a variety of booklets, magazines, brochures, and one photograph.
- Series XIV: Oversized (1882 - 1968) - consists of three magazines, a 1968 banquet program, and Kelroy Chadwick’s 1921 high school diploma.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Feb. 2, 2015