Home > Departments > Library

 

Aviation Department Scrapbooks

History

The Greater Fort Worth International Airport (also known as the Greater Southwest International Airport) was built on at Amon Carter Field and opened for business in 1953; it was closed down by 1973 when the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport and Love Field opened for commercial airline business. Love Field and Meacham Field were all originally established 1914 as United States Army airports. Meacham continues to provide civil and private air service.

References

Provenance

The creator and provenance of this collection are unknown.

Scope and Contents Note

The collection consists of scrapbooks of the Greater Fort Worth International Airport at Amon Carter Field. Each scrapbook is filled with publicity items in the form of newspaper and magazine clippings from Dallas and Fort Worth area publications. The collection consists of volumes from 1942-1972. There are no volumes 25, 27, or 95 in the collection; this may be due to misnumbering of the scrapbooks. Volume 28 appears twice with overlapping date stamps: volume 28 May-June 1953 is in Box 3 and Volume 28, May 1953 is in Box 4. The collection is arranged chronologically and spans 11.50 linear feet (23 boxes).

Return to Archival Collections

Last updated: June 6, 2014