Home > Departments > Library

 

Aviation Scrapbooks

History

In 1925, the City of Fort Worth acquired a site for its first municipal airport. Two years later, Meacham Field (named after Mayor H. C. Meacham) was in operation. It continued to be the city’s primary commercial landing site until the construction of the Greater Fort Worth International Airport (popularly known as Amon Carter Field) in 1953. During the late 1950s and early 1960s, there was a major effort to involve the city of Dallas in the operation and maintenance of Carter Field. In 1962, the City Council renamed the airport the Greater Southwest International Airport–Dallas-Fort Worth Field to reflect its regional importance. Dallas refused involvement, but eventually, the two cities agreed to develop a new jointly owned and operated Dallas-Fort Worth regional airport, which was opened in 1973. The Southwest Airport was closed.

Provenance

These scrapbooks were created by Maury H. Huffman and John M. Beardslee, the managers of Carter Field from 1953 - 1968, and 1968 - 1975 respectively. Presumably, they were transferred to the library from the City’s Aviation Department, which supervised the airports after 1960. The date of transfer is unknown, except that it was prior to 1990.

Scope and Contents Note

The records comprise 181 scrapbooks (23 boxes) of clippings, primarily from the Fort Worth and Dallas daily papers, pertaining to aviation in Fort Worth and Tarrant County. They include information on the establishment and operation of Carter Field, the activities at Meacham Field, and development of the Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport. They date from 1942 - 1972.

Back to Archival Collections

Last updated: June 6, 2014