Sharon Benge became Director of Theater at Texas Woman’s University in 2000. She began as co-host of Art Matters on WRR Radio (101.1 FM) in 1988. Since 1990, Sharon has been the performing arts coordinator for the annual MAIN ST. Fort Worth Arts Festival. She has directed over 70 plays at theatres in North Texas and throughout the state. She produced RetroFest, a local festival aimed at educating the public about specific time periods using various art and theatre companies, from 1994 to 2001. The founding director of Fort Worth’s Shakespeare in the Park, Sharon has also served in artistic and administrative capacities at Casa Manana Playhouse, Arts Council of Fort Worth and Tarrant County and the Dallas Theater Center. In 1996, she was honored by the Live Theater League of Tarrant County with the Elston Brooks Award for Excellence, and has received similar accolades from the City of Fort Worth, the Arts and Business Connection, the Fort Worth Business Press and the Altrusa Club. Her husband, William D. (Bill) Benge had his own company in marketing and public relations and has supported Sharon throughout the years as a patron of the arts.
Sharon and William D. (Bill) Benge donated the Benge Family Papers to the library on February 20, 2007. Tom Kellam, City Archivist/Senior Librarian, received the papers, including photographs and audio-visual materials. The collection was processed by intern Sarah Logan-Reynolds, University of Texas at Arlington.
Scope and Contents Note
(1958 – 2005) 8.275 linear feet
- Series I - Casa Manana (1958 – 2003): General information; production paraphernalia; and photographs of the Casa Manana theatre.
- Series II - Dr. Franceine Reese Morrison (1975 – 1999): Legal papers; correspondence; memorabilia; and photographs of the gospel singer/minister’s life.
- Series III - Programs (1993 – 2005): Memorabilia related to the various productions the Benge family attended.
- Series IV - RetroFest (1988 – 2004): General information; marketing documents; and other paraphernalia related to the festival.
- Series V - Shakespeare in the Park (1977 – 2001): General information; marketing documents; and production memorabilia of the festival.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 9, 2014