The Fort Worth Free Baby Hospital opened on March 21, 1918, under the leadership of Mrs. Ida L. Turner. The hospital was located near the present TCU campus, and all building materials and hospital furnishings were donated. In 1961, the Baby Hospital received a new location on Cooper Street and changed its name to Fort Worth Children’s Hospital.
W.I. Cook Memorial Hospital was built with oil royalties from the Cook Ranch near Albany, Texas, in 1929. In 1952, Cook Memorial dedicated itself to study the effects of polio on children, therefore changing its name to Cook Children’s Hospital.
Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth resulted from the merger of Cook Children’s Hospital and Fort Worth Children’s Hospital in 1985.
The Cook Children’s Medical Center materials were donated to the library in 1999.
Scope and Description
Inclusive dates for Cook Children’s Medical Center records are 1919-1999.
- Series I - Women’s Auxiliary, 1971 - 1992: The Women’s Auxiliary series contains scrapbooks and reports produced by said entity. The scrapbooks are in eleven boxes, arranged in chronological order. The reports are from meetings held by, and for, the Auxiliary members. These reports are divided into meeting minutes and treasurer reports; they are in one box containing two folders.
- Series II - Junior Volunteers, 1958 - 1994: This series contains scrapbooks produced by the Junior Volunteers. The scrapbooks are arranged in four boxes, arranged in chronological order.
- Series III - Jewel Charity Ball, 1969 - 1998: The Jewel Charity Ball series is divided into two sub series: A. Engagement Books and B. Scrapbooks. The Engagement Books are in six manuscript boxes and arranged in chronological order. The Scrapbooks consist of one box. Engagement books contain photographs representing advertisers and Jewel Charity Ball committee, list of donors, advertisers and JCB prizes.
- Series IV - Early Records, 1919 - 1964: This series contains early 20th century scrapbooks and log books. The scrapbook sub series is in four boxes, the logbook sub series is also in four boxes. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings about events, patients, staff, and hospital.
- Series V - Publications, 1952 - 1999: The Publications series contains materials published by the hospital. These publications are subdivided into Magazines / Newsletters, and Bound Magazines / Newsletters. The first sub series contains three manuscript boxes, and the second is in two manuscript boxes.
- Series VI - Miscellaneous Correspondence, Pamphlets, Memorabilia and Scrapbooks: This series contains a mix of miscellaneous materials housed in six boxes. This series includes calendars, pamphlets, correspondence, and scrapbooks.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 10, 2014