In 1888, T. B. Ellison and Walter B. Maddox opened their first store on Fort Worth’s Main Street between Sixth and Seventh streets. They originally manufactured and sold mattresses. Later they expanded into furniture, draperies, and caskets. The store moved through three other locations, becoming known simply as Ellison’s. Its last site was at 7000 Camp Bowie Blvd, until it was closed in 1992, after being sold to Sunniland Furniture, Inc. of Houston.
The papers were donated by the Ellison Furniture Store in February 1993, when its office and warehouse located in Fort Worth, Texas, were closed.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of five boxes of miscellaneous materials that were considered to have historical value.
- Box 1: Includes clippings, drawings, catalogs of model interiors from 1915 - 1919, and photographs.
- Box 2 : Includes photographs of model interiors and of employees, printing plates created for advertising.
- Box 3: Oversized photographs of model interiors, and 1923 photograph of staff (badly damaged).
- Box 4: Printers blocks showing Ellison buildings and trademarks.
- Box 5 : Journal entry ledgers from 1933 - 1946, bank statements from 1906 - 1925, and three framed displays.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 17, 2014