The West Side Baptist Church was originally known as Van Zandt Baptist Church until the mid-1940s, when they changed their name in an effort to encourage growth of the congregation. Van Zandt Baptist Church was formed in 1932, around the time of the demise of nearby Granbury Avenue Baptist Church (also referred to as Railroad Avenue Baptist Church, although the address was 2028 Curzon).
Van Zandt’s first services were held in a small house but in 1933, the church purchased property at 2836 West 6th Street, where they built a tabernacle. Worship services were held in the tabernacle until they could afford to construct a church building in 1942. Six years later, an educational building was completed.
Unfortunately in 1949, the church and the homes of many members were severely damaged by the historic May flood. Although the church recovered from the flood, the congregation outgrew the location and property was purchased at 111 Boland for a new, larger building.
West Side Baptist Church moved into the new building in 1959, where they stayed until they dissolved the church and sold the property in 2014. On February 17, 2004, the church changed its name to Faith Community Church.
Scope and Contents Note
Arranged in a single series due to its small size, this collection consists of records of the histories of Van Zandt Baptist Church and West Side Baptist Church, and covers the years 1932 - 2014. It contains photographs of the two churches, and a West Side Baptist Church directory. The collection also includes the Esther Class scrapbook, which was compiled by Mrs. C. C. Starnes, wife of a church deacon. The extent of the collection is 1.29 linear foot (2 boxes).
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: April 1, 2016