Home > Departments > Library

 

Fort Worth and Tarrant County Schools: Miscellaneous Collection

History

Pioneers began settling in Fort Worth, which originated as an Army post, in the mid-19th Century. A number of private schools catered to the education needs of Fort Worth residents until the founding of Fort Worth Independent School District in 1882. The city converted military buildings and church houses into school rooms before building stone and brick schools in the late 1880s and early 1890s. The early settlers of Fort Worth required a number of schools scattered throughout the city, and Tarrant County schools increased with the population growth.

Provenance

The provenance of the collection is unknown.

Scope and Contents Note

The collection contains an array of documents relating to schools of Fort Worth and Tarrant County, including school publications, newspaper clippings, event programs, photographs, and parent-teacher association documents. The collection contains material from over 45 local schools dating 1856 - 2004. The Fort Worth and Tarrant County Schools collection measures 1 linear foot (3 boxes).

Return to Archival Collections

Last updated: June 26, 2014