The Fort Worth Florists’ Association (FWFA) was founded with the objectives “to promote and encourage the exchange between members of ideas, principles, policies and methods of conducting floral business; to promote good feelings and honest dealing with other florists, the wholesaler, and the public; and to further generally the florist business.” Membership was made up of those “engaged in the floral, horticulture, allied industries, and funeral directors. Leadership was comprised of an Executive Board as well as a number of Standing Committees. The FWFA disbanded sometime after 2010.
The Fort Worth Florists’ Association Records were donated to the library by the Kevin Starnes on September 9, 2013.
Scope and Contents Note
The Fort Worth Florists’ Association Records consist of organizational records, financial records, membership records, agendas, photographs, negatives, scrapbooks, awards and certificates, correspondence, directories and handbooks, minutes, newsletters, and notes that document the Fort Worth Florists’ Association. The records date from 1949-2013 with the bulk of the records dating from the 1980s to the 2000s. The Fort Worth Florists’ Association Records have been arranged into 3 series and 4 subgroups and measure 8.4 linear feet (13 Boxes).
Series I : Membership Directories (1968 - 2010) - Contains 32 membership directories for the Association. While not all of the directories contain all of the same sections from year to year, the directories often include the officers for the year, past presidents, the constitution and by-laws, and contact information for the members. Directories from some years are missing from the collection.
Series II : Newsletters (1988 - 2000) - Contains monthly newsletter put out each month by the Association. This series does not contain a complete run of the Association’s newsletters.
Series III : Scrapbooks (1986 - 1996) - Comprised 4 scrapbooks that were created by the Association’s President for the year they were in office. These scrapbooks contain clippings, photographs, and other memorabilia.
- Subgroup I : Kevin Starnes (1949 - 2013) - Made up of materials created and collected by Mr. Starnes while he was a member and an Executive Board member of the FWFA. The materials include membership records, board records, awards, a scrapbook, newsletters, correspondence, photographs, records of events and activities, and information about other floral associations.
- Subgroup II : Mike Tinius (1998 - 2007) - Consists of materials created and collected by Mr. Tinius while he was a member and an Executive Board member of the FWFA. This subgroup contains membership records, financial records, board records, 3.5 inch disks, newsletters, correspondence, photographs, records of events and activities, information about other floral associations, and reports.
- Subgroup III : Shirley Yates (2005 - 2010) - Comprised of materials created and collected by Ms. Yates while she was a member and an Executive Board member of the FWFA. Ms. Yates’ records include membership records, records of the board, records of activities and events, financial records, newsletters, information about other floral associations, and reports.
- Subgroup IV : Mac Abels (1965 - 1991) - Consists of materials created and collected by Mr. Abels while he was a member and an Executive Board member of the FWFA. The records consist of correspondence, financial records, membership records, newsletters, organizational records, programs, reports, and records of events and activities. After Mr. Abels’ passing in 1989, someone continued to add materials to his records.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 26, 2014