Byrd Williams IV is a fourth-generation photographer who has been behind the lens since childhood. In addition to his career as a professional photographer, Willliams also taught photography at Collin College in North Texas. Williams is internationally known, and has worked in Germany and other European countries. He frequently uses a large format view camera, and in additional to civic and architectural subjects, enjoys capturing moments that illustrate unique relationships between people and their surroundings.
- Byrd Williams, Ro2 Art. Accessed April 4, 2014. http://www.ro2art.com/byrd-williams-iv—bio.html
- McGraw, Dan. “Byrd’s Eye View: More Than a Century of Cowtown History Has Been Captured By a Family of Photographers.” Fort Worth Weekly. August 12 – 18, 2009, 8 – 14.
The materials were donated to the library by Byrd Williams IV on February 15, 2007.
Scope and Contents Note
The Fort Worth’s Legendary Landmarks Photographs consist of black and white prints of images taken to illustrate the architectural history of Fort Worth in the book of the same title. The photographs were taken by Byrd Williams IV over an unspecified eight-year period, but the book was published in 1995.
Structures had to meet four criteria to be included in the book:
- Constructed prior to 1945
- Within the city limits by January 1, 1994
- Listed in the Tarrant County Historical Resources Survey
- Be designated (or eligible for designation) as a Historic Place or Landmark at the city, state, or national level.
Some of the prints were identified by labels on the back, but others were identified in the book or through research. The prints measure 8 x 10”, and have been placed in polypropylene sleeves and housed in an archival binder box, in alphabetical order by subject. The collection measures 1.08 linear feet (2 boxes).
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 26, 2014