George Duane Kellam (1920 - 2009) was a sports columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He was born on September 22, 1920, in Ardmore, Oklahoma and moved to Texas with his family at the age of nine. He attended Texas Christian University from 1937 - 1940 and 1945- 1947, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in journalism in 1947.
Kellam served four years in the United States Army Air Corps as Bombardier/Navigator in B-24s. He was awarded a Purple Heart, an Air Medal with three clusters, three major battle stars and was the recipient of a personal commendation from General Hap Arnold.
Kellam’s career at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram began in 1945 when he joined the staff as a sports writer. He wrote sports and outdoor news articles for the paper, served as outdoor and sports editor, and founded and served as the first president of the Texas Outdoor Writer’s Association.
In 1968, he became the paper’s director of public relations. In this position, he acted as president of the Texas Golden Gloves Athletic Association and the Golden Gloves Youth Development Association until his retirement from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 1985. Following his retirement, Kellam and his wife, Mona, moved to Hot Springs Village, Arkansas where Kellam regularly contributed articles to La Villa News and the Arkansas Gazette newspapers. He passed away on May 31, 2009.
The George Duane Kellam Papers were acquired by the library through a donation by his son, Tom Kellam, on July 10, 2009.
Scope and Contents Note
The George Duane Kellam Papers consist of 10 boxes, or 6.5 linear feet, and 5 reels of 16mm film, from 1937 - 2002. It is divided into five series:
- Series I : Professional Papers - Contains photographs, appointment books, and other materials relating to Kellam’s career at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Series II : Personal Papers - Contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, and other materials relating to Kellam’s involvement with various organizations, publications, and leisure activities.
- Series III : Newspapers - Consists of newspaper clippings of articles written about and by George Kellam. Newspaper clippings have been copied to acid free paper.
- Series IV : Memorabilia - Consists of memorabilia relating to Kellam’s involvement with the Golden Gloves Boxing Association.
- Series V : Films - Consists of 5 16mm films of Kellam’s fishing trips in Canada and Panama.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 27, 2014