This collection consists of programs from the Greenwall Opera House. The Fort Worth Opera House was built in 1883 by a syndicate headed by Walter Huffman. The 1,200 seat theater was located at Third and Rusk (now Commerce).
In 1890, they sold the opera house to Henry and Phil Greenwall and it was renamed the Greenwall Opera House. The first performance was William A. Brady’s “After Dark”. The Greenwall Opera House was torn down around 1906. There are two stories why the Greenwall was demolished. One is that during a performance of “Ben Hur,” the horses on the treadmill put too much strain on the stage. The second is that a strong wind blew the building off line by four inches. It was replaced by the Byers Opera House in 1908.
The provenance of the Greenwall Opera House programs is unknown.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of two boxes of programs from 1887 - 1905.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: June 27, 2014