Jeanette Kassel McCamey was born on December 4, 1915, in Fort Worth, TX, to Leo Herman and Chic Yeidel Kassel. Her father’s family emigrated to the U.S. from Germany in 1884, and settled in Gainesville, TX, where her mother’s family also resided. Leo Kassel established a food products distribution company, L.H. Kassel Company, in Fort Worth in 1909. The company later expanded to include a wholesale antiques department. Her younger sister, Dorothy, was born in 1919.
Ms. McCamey graduated from Central High School, earned a degree from Ward-Belmont College in Nashville, TN and attended the University of Texas. She married Paul R. McCamey on November 30, 1935. He served in the United States Air Force during WWII in the air transport command. Mr. and Mrs. McCamey were the founders and co-owners of the Lamp Shop, and Ms. McCamey was a member of the Woman’s Club. She passed away on March 11, 2010, in Fort Worth, TX.
The Kassel family papers were acquired from Karen Pena of Cleburne, TX on April 17, 2010.
Scope and Description
The collection consists of correspondence, clippings, daybooks, calendars, scrapbooks, photographs and personal artifacts created and collected by the Kassel, McCamey and Yeidel families. The majority of the materials appear to have belonged to Jeannette Kassel McCamey and her immediate family members. The collection is arranged into five series: Biographical, Daybooks/Calendars, Photographs, Scrapbooks and Oversize/Memorabilia. The materials date from 1852-1971 and measure 4.68 linear feet (15 boxes).
- Series I - Biographical (1852 - 1971): Correspondence, programs, diplomas, certificates, manuscripts, school records, obituaries and other printed materials created and collected by the Kassel, McCamey and Yeidel families. A significant portion of the series is made up of letters written by Jeannette to her parents during 1920 - 1937.
- Series II - Daybooks/Calendars (1938 - 1958): Ms. McCamey’s daybooks and calendars where she recorded her activities for each day. The folders also contain loose items that she had tucked into her daybooks.
- Series III - Photographs (1879 - 1968): Photographs of the Kassel and McCamey families, their homes and trips. Not all photographs are identified.
- Series IV - Scrapbooks (1879 - 1950): Three scrapbooks belonging to members of the Yeidel family. The scrapbooks contain clippings, letters, postcards and other printed materials.
- Series V - Oversize/Memorabilia (1897 - 1950): Items such as wallets belonging to members of the McCamey family, Paul McCamey’s dog tags and bible, certificates and marriage licenses belonging to members of the Kassel family and oversized photographs.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Aug. 1, 2014