The Fort Worth Little Theatre was founded by Mrs. Lotta Carter Gardner and her children Hunter E. Gardner and Rosalind Gardner Shelley. The original name of the group was the Vagabond Players and they presented their first play, “Suppressed Desires” on October 12, 1921 in the Gardner barn behind the old family home on Lipscomb St. The first production given under the name of the Little Theatre was “The Romantic Age”, in 1923. They moved to 609 West 4th St. and presented their first production in October 1925 at the new playhouse. They moved again in October 1927 to 1312 W. Street in 1933. The Fort Worth Little Theatre was reorganized on June 16, 1929, but it was barely able to continue ceased production in October 1935 at the start of the new season.
The provenance is unknown but the programs were given before 1991, probably by various individuals.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of one box of programs from 1921 to 1935 including “Death Takes a Holiday”, “Green Grow the Lilacs” and ‘Porgy”.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Aug. 4, 2014