Mary Shirley Jimerson Johnson, 1924-2007
Mary Shirley Jimerson attended school in Auburn, Nebraska where her father was superintendent of public schools. In 1943, she attended the University of Texas at Austin, Texas where she met her future husband of 61 years, John E. Johnson. In 1969, Shirley and John moved to Fort Worth where she was not only socially and civically active, but received numerous awards and recognitions.
Her many accolades include president of the League of Women Voters of Tarrant County, Texas; she served a term on the Fort Worth City Council; in 1993 she was named as an Outstanding Woman of the Year of Fort Worth; served on the Community Action Agency; and the Community Development Council. For most of her adult life, Shirley was involved in politics and the Democratic Party. She began the Wednesday Lunch Bunch, a politically conscientious watch group, which met in the Johnson home for many years. Shirley was an active member of First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church in Fort Worth. She and John also served as sponsors and mentors to the Youth Symphony Orchestra of Fort Worth on international trips.
The M. Shirley Johnson Papers were donated to library on September 19, 2008 by her husband, John E. Johnson, Jr., Tarrant County, Texas.
Scope and Contents Note
The Johnson Papers consists of 16 boxes or 6.5 linear feet of materials. The collection is divided into seven series: Biographical; Subject; Travel; Journal Articles / Newspaper Clippings; Photographs; Memorabilia; and Oversize. When possible the collection was left in the original order received and using the folder titles established by her daughters who organized the Johnson papers before donation. Comprehensive dates for the collection are 1945-2007 with the bulk of the materials 1960-2005.
- SERIES I: Biographical - Contains awards and recognition materials; career and professional documents; correspondence; greeting cards; Delphi Study legislative materials; and vital records.
- SERIES II: Subject - Documents on campaigns; the City of Fort Worth; civic organizations; the Democratic Party; Texas Women for the Eighties; Wednesday Lunch Bunch; and Women to Remember.
- SERIES III: Travel - Materials and photographs from trips with the Youth Symphony of Fort Worth to Eastern Europe, the United Kingdom, Taiwan, and Hong Kong; trips to Acapulco; Australia / New Zealand; Canada; Colorado; Germany; Hawaii; Mississippi; and Russia.
- SERIES IV: Journal Articles / Newspaper Clippings - Newspaper clippings and journal article topics include City of Fort Worth council actions and personnel issues; political and campaign articles; and cultural pieces.
- SERIES V: Photographs - The Photograph series topics include campaign; politics; Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church; and family friends. Photographs related to trips are located in the Travel Series.
- SERIES VI: Memorabilia - Consists of badges; membership cards; and campaign and miscellaneous buttons.
- SERIES VII: Oversize - Included in the Oversize series are a scrapbook / photograph album; a chalk and watercolor sketch; campaign signs; North Fort Worth Architectural / Historical Survey and Adaptive Reuse Studies; and bumper stickers.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Sept. 12, 2014