The National Cutting Horse Association was established in Fort Worth, Texas in the spring of 1946 by a group of thirteen cutting horse owners at the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show. Though cutting horse competitions had been held throughout the country since the late 19th Century, there were neither standardized rules nor procedures for holding the competitions. The association was originally expected to be a local cutting horse association with the expectation they would have approximately 50 members, but when they became incorporated, they became the National Cutting Horse Association, and hosted their first event in the fall of 1946 Dublin, Texas. By 1963, there were 727 cutting horse competitions held worldwide, 504 of which were recognized as NCHA Championship events. Currently the organization has over 21,000 members and hosts 1,400 events worldwide. According to the Association’s 2012 Rulebook, their main objective continues to be the “development of standard methods for the equitable conduct of cutting horse contests.”
The National Cutting Horse Association Records were initially acquired by the library from Donald C. Landry, executive director of the National Cutting Horse Association on October 15, 1991. Additional materials belonging to Col. Ike Hamilton, a former NCHA auctioneer, were donated to the Association and were acquisitioned on August 11, 1993.
Scope and Contents Note
The National Cutting Horse Association collection consists of 14 boxes, 189 bound volumes, and 55 reels of 16mm film (59.25 linear feet), from 1948 - 1998. It is divided into six series:
- Series I: Publications - Contains programs, books, booklets, and promotional materials relating to the National Cutting Horse Association and events hosted by the organization.
- Series II: Administrative Records - Contains membership and affiliate lists for the organization from 1949 - 1960.
- Series III: Bound Volumes - Contains 189 bound volumes of results from NCHA sponsored events from 1952 - 1980.
- Series IV: Newspapers - Contains newspaper clippings of articles written about the NCHA. Newspaper clippings have been copied to acid free paper.
- Series V: Memorabilia - Contains items manufactured for events sponsored by the National Cutting Horse Association.
- Series VI: Audiovisual Material - Consists of videotapes and 16mm films of events sponsored by the National Cutting Horse Association.
Due to formats and conditions of some of the audiovisual holdings, not all footage may be immediately accessible. Please contact the library for more information regarding these holdings.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Sept. 18, 2014