The National League of American Pen Women, Inc., is a professional organization that was established in 1897 by Marion Longfellow O’Donoghue, niece of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Ann Sanborne Hamilton, an editor at the Washington Post, and Margaret Sullivan Burke, a Capitol correspondent for leading newspapers across the country, in response to the For Men Only stance of the Washington, D.C. Press Club. The club was established for “women who express themselves through one or more of the creative arts – music, art, and letters.”
The insignia of the organization is an owl framed with a triangle formed from a brush, pen, and pencil. The organization’s motto is “One for All, and All for One.”
The Fort Worth Branch of The National League of American Pen Women was established in 1952, by Doral Sooter, Lillian Durham Dickson, May Kendall Wilhoit, Carolyn Keller Carpenter, Myrtle K. Griffith, Francis Coffin Boaz, and Marylu Cahill Britton. The Fort Worth Branch accepted their by-laws on February 10, 1953, and those by-laws were accepted by the national board on March 8, 1954.
The National League of American Pen Women, Fort Worth Branch collection was donated to the library by JoAnn Durham on June 16, 2010.
Scope and Contents Note
The National League of American Pen Women, Fort Worth Branch collection consists of one scrapbook which documents the branch’s history from 1952 - 2009. The collection measures 1.34 linear feet (1 box).
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Sept. 18, 2014