Pearl Corelle Hanson Newsom (1892 - 1987) was born in Wyocena, WI, and briefly lived in Frederick, OK before settling in Texas. After graduating with a Bachelor of Science from Texas Wesleyan College in 1939, Mrs. Newsom held a career as a teacher. An active member of the Fort Worth community, Mrs. Newsom was involved in the Bethany Class of Travis Avenue Baptist Church, and served as president of the Penelope Club of the Woman’s Club of Fort Worth.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of scrapbooks, photographs, photograph albums, postcards, negatives, genealogy books, and biographical information relating to the life and interests of Pearl Newsom. The materials date from 1911 - 1989 and measure 3.38 linear feet (8 boxes). The collection has been divided into four series: Biographical, Books, Photographs, and Oversized Materials.
- Series I: Biographical (1939 - 1987) - Contains a notebook and directory from Mrs. Newsom’s church, cards and sign-in books from Mrs. Newsom’s funeral as well as her son-in-law, William D. Weaver. Mrs. Newsom’s diploma and a teaching certificate are also included. The Penelope Club Scrapbook was a magnetic scrapbook and has been scanned and printed; when possible the original materials were saved.
- Series II: Books (1973, 1989) - Contains four genealogy books.
- Series III: Photographs (1911 - 1986) - Contains various photographs, real photograph postcards, and negatives. Within the real photograph postcards is a photograph of Mrs. Newsom as a member of a women’s baseball team, dated 1911.
- Series IV: Oversized Materials (1914 - 1943) - Contains six photographs, two photograph albums, and a scrapbook from the Bethany Class of Travis Avenue Baptist Church.
Access to the diary in the Books series has been restricted to protect the privacy of the patients because it contains patient and counseling information.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Rent a meeting room
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Oct. 2, 2014