Pioneers Rest Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Fort Worth. Major Ripley Allen Arnold established it in 1849. The first known burials were Major Arnold’s children, Willis and Sophie, who died in 1850, and eleven soldiers who died at the Fort during the years 1849 - 1850.
Ripley Arnold’s grave was later reinterred at Pioneers Rest from Fort Graham. A Cemetery Association was formed in 1870 with K. M. Van Zandt, M. B. Loyd, W. P. Burts and W. A. Darter named as trustees. Many of the early settlers of Fort Worth are buried in the Cemetery including the Daggetts, Zane-Cettis and the Peaks. Also, Edward H. Tarrant’s body was moved to the Cemetery.
Marc Smith, Jr., former president of the Pioneers Rest Cemetery Association, donated the records in 2000.
Scope and Contents Note
The records consist of two boxes of materials including by-laws, clippings, deeds, membership lists, minutes and information on the location of the graves.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Oct. 2, 2014