A collection of items that were generated in response to a collection of rare and old children’s books and other print materials donated to the Fort Worth Public Library in 1957, by Mrs. Charles D. Reimers. Mrs. Reimers was a collector of children’s literature. She was also an ardent supporter of the Library, and even donated a bookmobile to the Library in 1948. Mrs. Reimers served on the Library Advisory Board. She held the office of Chairman in 1957, and was President in 1958. Mrs. Reimers passed away on September 6, 1967.
In 1974, the Friends of the Library orchestrated the evaluation of the children’s literature collection. With funding assistance from the Fort Worth City Council, a book catalog of the collection was published by the Library in 1976, entitled Little Truths Better Than Great Fables. In 2003, the Fort Worth Library created a Little Truths exhibit for National Children’s Book Week.
- Roginski, J. W. (1976). Little Truths Better Than Great Fables. Fort Worth, Texas: Branch-Smith.
Materials pertaining to the book, Little Truths, were retained by the Fort Worth Public Library. Materials documenting the 2003 exhibit were donated by Wynette Schwalm on April 28, 2008.
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists of materials related to the book, Little Truths Better Than Great Fables, which is a catalog of the collection that was published by the Fort Worth Public Library, and materials documenting an exhibit of the Reimers Collection in celebration of National Children’s Book Week in 2003. The materials date from 1975 - 2003. The collection measures 1.58 linear feet (4 boxes), and it is arranged into two series.
- Series I: Little Truths Better Than Great Fables (1976) - Contains manuscripts, proofs, photographic slides and prints and index cards generated in the production of the Little Truths book, authored by J. W. Roginski. The index cards provide bibliographic representation for each item in Mrs. Reimers’ collection. The photographic images were made by Edward B. Murphy of Fort Worth. Some of the images were selected for use in the book, others were not used.
- Series II: National Children’s Book Week Exhibit (2003) - Consists of documentation of the 2003 exhibit. It includes copies of the narrative materials from the exhibit, photographs of and a record of which items were displayed in the exhibit, and photocopies of newspaper clippings regarding Mrs. Reimers and her collection. It also includes a CD of photographs of Mrs. Reimer and her home.
Related Materials in the Fort Worth Library Collections
The library has multiple copies of Little Truths Better than Great Fables, compiled by James W. Roginski. There is a circulating copy in the Children’s Unit (call number j028.52 Roginski) and there are reference copies in the Children’s Unit (call number j028.52 Roginski) and Local History Unit (call number LH 028.52 Roginski). Mrs. Reimers’ collection of 437 children’s books and other print materials is in the library’s Rare Book Collection.
- Audiobooks, Music, eBooks & Video
- Online Databases
- Genealogy, Archives & Local History
- Into the Past
- Digital Archives Collection
- Interlibrary Loan
- Get a Library Card
- Download the Library app
- Toll Tags
- Pay a fine
- Friends of the Library
- Fort Worth Public Library Foundation
Follow the Library
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2014